Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I am wondering about 2 fabric covered books, both containing

Customer Question

I am wondering about 2 fabric covered books, both containing lithogrphe's by Marc Chagall. One is lithographe's from 1957-1962 and the other is written in french containing 100 of Chagall's works, printed in 1960.Andre Sauret is the editor of both books.
Thank You for you time.
Rachel
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser. I would be happy to help you. Coyld you please post a few photos of these books and lithographs. This will help in evaluating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tanya, I have to wait for my camera to charge. How may I send photos to you in about an hour?

Hi you can email them to***@******.*** in the subject line please put: for ladytanya65 in appraisals. They will forward to me. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Don't get how this works...I have been charged the $38.00 for being told to contact you? Please assauge my faith in humanity and help me through getting an answer. Where and how do I send pictures you requested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please do NOT call That will just add to my frustration about using this line. Thanks

Hello, I am sorry I live where we got hit hard in a storm yesterday. I am here now and will be online the rest of the day. I see you requested a phone call however then ask to not call.

To post photos here there should be a paperclip or file upload button click on the button and follow prompts or you can send an email with the photos in it to ***@******.*** in the subject line please put ladytanya65 the administrators will forward the photos on to me. I look forward to helping you. Sorry for the delay I will online all day now. I am on the west coast.

I have nothing to do with the charges etc. I work answering, appraising items. The 38.00 will be the only fee unless you do the phone call that will charge you again. As long as you don't request different services there will be no further charges You can contact support to answer any of your questions. Their email is ***@******.*** I look forward to helping you here. You can post photos or send them to me by email.

Please let me know if you have trouble with sending the photos. I am ready and can help you online today. I look forward to helping you.

Hello, here is information on the artist while I await photos. I will post back here with my evaluation as soon as I receive the photos. Thank you

Marc Chagall was a man of keen intelligence, a shrewd observer of the contemporary scene, with a great sympathy for human suffering. He was born on July 7, 1887 in Vitebsk, Russia; his original name was Moishe Shagal (Segal), but when he became a foremost member of the Ecole de Paris, he adopted French citizenship and the French spelling of his name. Vitebsk was a good-sized Russian town of over 60,000, not a shtetl. His father supported a wife and eight children as a worker in a herring-pickling plant.

Sheltered by the Jewish commandment against graven images, the young Chagall never saw so much as a drawing until, one day, he watched a schoolmate copying a magazine illustration. He was ridiculed for his astonishment, but he began copying and improvising from magazines. Both Chagall's parents reluctantly agreed to let him study with Yehuda Pen, a Jewish artist in Vitebsk. Later, in 1906, they allowed their son to study in St. Petersburg, where he was exposed to Russian Iconography and folk art. At that time, Jews could leave the Pale only for business and employment and were required to carry a permit. Chagall, who was in St. Petersburg without a permit, was imprisoned briefly.

His first wife, Bella Rosenfeld, was a product of a rich cultivated and intellectual group of Jews in Vitebsk. Chagall was made commissar for the arts for the area, charged with directing its cultural life and establishing an art school. Russian folklore, peasant life and landscapes persisted in his work all his life. In 1910 a rich patron, a lawyer named Vinaver, staked him to a crucial trip to Paris, where young artists were revolutionizing art. He also sent him a handsome allowance of 125 francs (in those days about $24) each month. Chagall rejected cubism, fauvism and futurism, but remained in Paris. He found a studio near Montparnasse in a famous twelve-sided wooden structure divided into wedge-shaped rooms. Chaim Soutine, a fellow Russian Jew, and Modigliani lived on the same floor. To Chagall's astonishment, he found himself heralded as one of the fathers of surrealism. In 1923, a delegation of Max Ernst, Paul Eluard and Gala (later Salvador Dali's wife) actually knelt before Chagall, begging him to join their ranks. He refused.
To understand Chagall's work, it is necessary to know that he was born a Hasidic Jew, heir to mysticism and a world of the spirit, steeped in Jewish lore and reared in the Yiddish language. The Hasidim had a special feeling for animals, which they tried not to overburden. In the mysterious world of Kabbala and fantastic ancient legends of Chagall's youth, the imaginary was as important as the real. His extraordinary use of color also grew out of his dream world; he did not use color realistically, but for emotional effect and to serve the needs of his design. Most of his favorite themes, though superficially light and trivial, mask dark and somber thoughts. The circus he views as a mirror of life; the crucifixion as a tragic theme, used as a parallel to the historic Jewish condition, but he is perhaps best known for the rapturous lovers he painted all his life. His love of music is a theme that runs through his paintings.

After a brief period in Berlin, Chagall, Bella and their young daughter, Ida, moved to Paris and in 1937 they assumed French citizenship. When France fell, Chagall accepted an invitation from the Museum of Modern Art to immigrate to the United States. He was arrested and imprisoned in Marseilles for a short time, but was still able to immigrate with his family. The Nazi onslaught caught Chagall in Vichy, France, preoccupied with his work. He was loath to leave; his friend Varian Fry rescued him from a police roundup of Jews in Marseille, and packed him, his family and 3500 lbs. of his art works on board a transatlantic ship. The day before he arrived in New York City, June 23, 1941, the Nazis attacked Russia. The United States provided a wartime haven and a climate of liberty for Chagall. In America he spent the war years designing large backdrops for the Ballet.

Bella died suddenly in the United States of a viral infection in September 1944 while summering in upstate New York. He rushed her to a hospital in the Adirondacks, where, hampered by his fragmentary English, they were turned away with the excuse that the hour was too late. The next day she died.

He waited for three years after the war before returning to France. With him went a slender married English girl, Virginia Haggard MacNeil; Chagall fell in love with her and they had a son, David. After seven years she ran off with an indigent photographer. It was an immense blow to Chagall's ego, but soon after, he met Valentine Brodsky, a Russian divorcee designing millinery in London (he called her Fava). She cared for him during the days of his immense fame and glory. They returned to France, to a home and studio in rustic Vence. Chagall loved the country and every day walked through the orchards, terraces, etc. before he went to work.

Chagall died on March 28, 1985 in the south of France. His heirs negotiated an arrangement with the French state allowing them to pay most of their inheritance taxes in works of art. The heirs owed about $30 million to the French government; roughly $23 million of that amount was deemed payable in artworks. Chagall's daughter, Ida and his widow approved the arrangement.

Written and submitted by Jean Ershler Schatz, artist and researcher from Laguna Woods, California.