Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a small table that was my great grandmothers. My

Customer Question
I have a small wood...
I have a small wood table that was my great grandmothers. My grandmother said that her mother used it as a wash table. My great grandmother was the Hynes family that owned the large stone farmhouse in Baltimore county MD (Ellicot City) that was at one time the Benjamin Banneker farm and is now the museum for Banneker. It has 1 drawer w/ wood knob, has dove tails and 1 shelf under the drawer near the bottom of the legs which are turned. There are carved wood casters. It is at least 150 years old. The table may be walnut and is dark in color. Can you tell me anything about it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
1/5/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Would it be possible to please send clear, in-focus images of the dove-tailing and nail heads as well as the casters.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

where can I send the photos?

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

did you get the photos?

Hi Susan,

Yes, thank you for the images. May I please know what information, specifically you are seeking on this family heirloom piece?

~Nora

can you tell where it was made and about what year?

You have a hand made vernacular side table wash stand was made in circa 1840 - 1850. Generally these very utilitarian pieces were made by the original home or farmstead owner or by one of the people involved with the property. Sometimes if you pull the drawer out or look around, there is a pencil signature on the piece - sometimes. So, where it was made boils down the provenance, or history of prior ownership that you have detailed. The high value is $350 - $450. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $600.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Can you tell if it is walnut?

It does appear like walnut, although it has a secondary wood too that is possibly a hard pinewood. With the dark staining on the body that differs from the drawer front, it is a bit of a challenge to definitively determine the wood without personal inspection by me.

~Nora

Nora
Nora