Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a fully dressed bisque baby doll with movable eyes

Customer Question
and open mouth with teeth...
I have a fully dressed bisque baby doll with movable eyes and open mouth with teeth. The markings on the back of the head say "Germany" and on the next line it looks like
"% AMBEE". All of the clothing is original with a body that's stuffed with something that looks like brown kitty litter. What can you tell me about her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

At your convenience, please send a clear, in-focus close up image of the marks on the back of the head. As well, what is the height of the doll?

~Nora

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

I am not able to make a match to this maker mark for you.

I will opt-out here and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer, they will respond to you here. You do not need to re-post your question.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I"d be happy to help.

Is it possible the word under "Germany" is "EFFANBEE?" Is anything written below that?

I don't think that is the case. My best guess still has a blank in it. It looks to me like A_AANBEE. The blank may be a B or a P. There is another mark below that but the body of the doll begins there and I can't read it. Looks like it might be a G or a 6 followed by upper loops which might indicate 0 (zero) or an O then it might have a "/" and another 2 numbers or letters. Sorry, that's all I have.

The thing is, your doll's face is remarkably similar to the Effanbee Baby Lovums doll, made in composition in the 1920s.

Effanbee dolls were rubber and composition copies of German bisque dolls.

Your doll is bisque, and appears to be from the late 20th century.

I'm looking into this further, but you can search Effanbee Lovums to see what I mean.

Jennifer

I should have told you that I got the doll when my husband's grandmother died in the 1970's. She was in her 70's when she died and had had it her whole life. It may even have been her mother's doll.

Interesting. The molding of the lettering on the back looks very modern, as does the color on the front. I'll look further.

Jennifer

The doll is old enough that the clothing though in near perfect condition it terribly fragile from age.

I'm going to have to opt out. I just can't find the marking (what I can see of it).

Let's see if a third appraiser will be able to figure it out!

Jennifer

Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Hello

Maybe I can help you with this. I need you to do a pencil rub on the wording. Take a piece of paper and a lead pencil, hold the paper tightly against the wording on the doll, and then rub the pencil over the paper pressing as hard as possible in order to pull up the word.

Glenda

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur