Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a Sharpe painting. It's a small 5x7, painting of

Customer Question

I have a Marjorie Sharpe painting. It's a small 5x7, painting of roses, signed by artist. What might the value be?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.

What medium did the artist use to do the painting.....oils, watercolors, etc.?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we able to have a live chat on line? Or will you email me back?
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

You may have seen this; but just in case you have not, I will include here.

Marjorie Rosalind Sharp(e)

"Marjorie paints mainly in oils in the realist style and is a very accomplished artist. She has had painting excursions to many countries and tuition with well-known artists which has given her a wealth of experience and subject matter to work with.

Her building and landscapes have compositional expertise resulting from years of research and on location painting. Although painting with oil is her first preference, birds and flowers are her favourite subjects in watercolour. Mixed media is another interesting media where Marjorie enjoys experimenting with acrylic, watercolour and pastel to achieve the results she aims for in paintings.

In 2001 Marjorie had her first Solo Exhibition which was an outstanding success. One purchase was from Rolly Tasker for his Australian Sailing Museum. She has won many awards and was featured in the Australian Artist Magazine in 2001 and 2004.

Marjorie is also a Ceramic Artist and at one stage, operated her own Ceramic Studio, being well-known for her exquisite porcelain doll making.

Marjorie ‘s introduction to printmaking was while completing her Certificate of Art and Design at Central Metropolitan College of W.A. in the late 1980’s.

She is a member of Arts–Culture-Peel, the Alfred Cove Arts Ass., Botanical Art School of Melbourne, Impressionist Printmakers, Printmakers Association of W.A. Murray Arts and Crafts Society W.A. & Mala Peel."

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method, I was able to determine a retail value of $450-550 assuming very good condition.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Please consider giving me a positive rating. It is the only way I am compensated by Just Answer for my work.
You should see five stars or five happy faces with my answer. This is where you rate me. Rating me a positive
does not cost you any extra.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please don't reply.