Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Need value Monarch of the Glen by Sir Edwin Landseer

Customer Question
engraved by Thimas Landseer and...
Need value Monarch of the Glen by Sir Edwin Landseer engraved by Thimas Landseer and sold by Henry Graves Company print sellers in 1862 in large format with Scottish poem --
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/1/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.

Please tell me the dimensions of the engraving not including the mat or frame.

Do not remove the engraving from the framing.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The visible portion inside the mat is 24"x 23"-- that includes the poem underneath the picture of the stag --,the picture of the stag itself is 19" x 20"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the left bottom within the image of the stage appears H.F.A. Precede by C with circle around it
Further below image on left is "painted by Sir Edwin Landseer R.A.
Below image on right is "engraved by Thomas "
In middle underneath image is LONDON PUBLIHED AUGUST 18 1862 by Henry Graves & Compy print sellers in ordinary to her majesty and H.R.H. Prince Albert -6 Pall Mall

Thank you for that information.

You have probably already seen this Wikipedia description; but just in case, I will include it here.

"Thomas Landseer (1793 or 1794– 20 January 1880) was an artist best known for his engravings and etchings, particularly those of paintings by his youngest brother Edwin Landseer.
Life

Landseer was born in London, the eldest of the fourteen children of engraver John Landseer. Seven of the children survived to adulthood and all became artists; his younger brothers were painters and later Royal Academicians Charles Landseer and Edwin Landseer. Like his father, Thomas was deaf. He was the only sibling to marry, his wife's name was Belinda. His son George Landseer became a portrait and landscape painter.

Like his siblings, Landseer was taught artistic techniques by his father. He then studied under painter Benjamin Robert Haydon alongside his brother Charles and William Bewick. He began etching aged 14, copying his precocious brother's drawings. Thomas continued to make etched copies of Edwin's works in later life, including Dignity and Impudence (1841), Alexander and Diogenes (1852), The Monarch of the Glen (1852) and, his last work, The Font (1875). His soft-ground etchings complimented his brother's animal paintings, and sales of the popular prints (retailing for between 3 and 10 guineas) contributed to his brother's fame and fortune. He assisted his brother with giving art lessons to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

Landseer produced satirical etchings of monkeys in human clothing for Monkeyana, or, Men in Miniature (1827), and dedicated his Characteristic Sketches of Animals (1832) to the Zoological Society. He also produced illustrations for ***** ***** Coleridge's Devil's Walk (1831). He also exhibited paintings at the British Institution and the Royal Academy. He was elected an associate of the Royal Academy in 1867 for his etchings. He edited a biography of William Bewick published in 1871.

He died at 11 Grove End Road, St. John’s Wood, on 20 January 1880. He was buried at Highgate Cemetery."

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method, I was able to determine an estimated auction value of your engraving, which is rather large for Landseer, to be $1813.

A retail art gallery would charge an estimated $4000-4500 for your large engraving with its poem. Please understand that retail art gallery prices depend on the tastes of the gallery owner and the location of the gallery.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You did great job -- will give a rating later today -- very interesting the partnership of the two brothersHow did you know it was genuine and not repro -- was it the dimensions?Gave it to my brother after finding framed at swap meet -- he loved it

The dimensions did help as well as the attributes underneath. The date of the printing helped. The photo shows a very thin engraving indentation around it.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

zdoris

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser