Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I recently purchased a that from the limited information I

Customer Question
I recently purchased a bell...
I recently purchased a bell that from the limited information I can find is from the Baltimore Plow Company over 100 years old company closed down in 1890. It is a 4 1/2 on more like 2 A frames not mounted yoke style. Do you have any information on these bells?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/28/2015
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 1 year ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. Can you post the measurements of the bell and a photo of the overall bell with close ups of any markings on the bell please. This will help me in the evaluation of the bell. Also giving you an accurate value to the bell. Thank you I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your quick response. The measurements are
Height: 18"
Diameter: 20 1/2 "
And the the arm the bell sits in frame on is: 32"It's marked 4 1/2 on hangers
And E is marked on center of Bell top between BP CO
I am attaching photos
Thank you so much for your help

Hello Thank you for the information I am researching now and if you have a photo of the bell sitting up so I may see the top that would be great in helping pinpoint the exact bell. Thank you

Hi I have found little about Baltimore Plow Company. In In 1857 it filed for bankruptcy and settled with an attorney in Baltimore by trading merchandise to pay him for his services. The company quit production in 1867 of merchandise and closed its doors for good in the 1890s sometime. I found this by going through the merchant directory of Baltimore in old records of Baltimore. So the age of your bell is before 1867. Placing the age at 148 years or older. It looks to be made of cast iron. The size is that equivalent to a large dinner or school bell of the time period. The value on your bell is $250.00-300.00 and that is in good to excellent condition ( which yours looks to be). It would be hard to obtain the value in selling the bell with the economy and such, the norm is half to a third of the value on items right now when selling. It would be best to hold on to the bell and enjoy it.

Thank you for sharing this and coming to justanswer. If I may be of further help please let me know I am always happy to help customers.

********

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site:

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

when you get a chance please rate my answer as this is how I am paid. It does not cost you anything more to rate my answer. Thank you and have a wonderful new year ahead.

Hi I see you havent rated the answer yet. I wanted to check and see if I may be of further service to you on this bell. Please let me know.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser