How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim in Antiques Your Own Question
Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Category: Antiques
Satisfied Customers: 1155
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
Type Your Antiques Question Here...
Tim in Antiques is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have another piece that is different from most I've

Customer Question

I have another piece that is different from most I've seen. It is a Plantation Desk with secret compartment in the top, the edges of the table top are rounded, and there are three drawers. I know the lock is English and was made by Bramahs, which should mean that it is c1810? This is one of the finest pieces of furniture I have seen in many years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This piece is not familiar to me, so I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer in my place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time and honesty! Have a safe and Happy New Year!
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day my name is Tim

I am a Certified IRS Qualified antique appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

Thank you for including so many photos of the piece. Is it possible to send a few more? I need you to be my fingers and eyes. Lets look at the underside of a drawer. When you run your hand on the surface is it smooth or wavy? Also on any of the unfinished area are the a series of parallel lines? Are they curved or straight? Next can you send photo of any screws or nails that are used any where on the desk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some additional pics of the pieces of the desk--drawer, sides, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy New Year Tim. The underside of the drawers are tapered at the sides and back. There are ridges on the bottom of each drawer caused by a small piece of wood applied to the drawer frame--I have never seen anything like this.
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional pictures. It has the look of a Southern Federal Plantation Desk made in the 19th Century. To determine early or late I need to see the hardware. You included the lock, so can you send one of the hinges and the back of the drawer pulls.

Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

After looking at several hundred plantation desks that have sold at auction. I agree there are very few that look like yours. These were made individually by small shops. The current market is soft on 19th century furniture no matter how unique. You have what appears to be an American Late Federal early 19th century Maple Plantation Desk, with

molded cornice, paneled lid, and angled pediment with a drop front baize writing surface and interior fitted with cubbyholes and drawers, the lower case with two drawers, turned legs. The piece has been restored at some point. The current auction value range is $1,500.00 to $2,500. For insurance purposes the replacement value is $3,000.00 to $5,000.00.

Have a very Happy New Year

Cheers Tim