Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Have framed landscape print on board by nice guilded frame

Customer Question
have framed landscape print on...
have framed landscape print on board by Harry Raymond Henry nice guilded frame from LA, 32" x 21" needs cleaning research leads me to believe agood $5 investment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
12/15/2015
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 2 years ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello, my name is***** would be happy to help you. I am one of the expert appraisers. Could you post a photo of the painting? Here is a brief biography of the artist:

BRIEF HISTORY AND OUTLINE OF PROVENANCE

PLEIN AIRE ARTIST, HARRY RAYMOND HENRY

(H. Raymond Henry - 1882 - 1973)

Born in Wichita, Kansas. His father became sheriff of Dodge City, Kansas, and his mother was the female medical doctor west of the Mississippi and frequently treated prisoners in local jails.

Henry graduated from the Chicago Art Institute where he met and married Isabella Page Pierce. Subsequently, they moved to Los Angeles, California, where Henry was a decorator, designer and artist. His landscapes were chosen to decorate the salons and drawing-room cars of the Southern Pacific Railroad and his lithographs were the trademark of the railroad for many years.

In the 1920's, Henry purchased most of the businesses in San Juan Capistrano, California, including the famous Old Adobe building which became his home and studio. Many movie stars and celebrities of the period were visitors, purchased his paintings and signed his guest book.

The Henrys moved to Beverly Hills in the 1930s and his paintings sold well. He opened a studio on Melrose Avenue in Hollywood in the 1940s where he painted large canvases and taught art. He had many shows at the famous Greek Theatre.

In 1951, the Henrys moved to Three Arch Bay in Laguna Beach, California. His work was featured at the prestigious Laguna Art Gallery where he was a lifetime member. In 1960, he donated his magnificent five-foot by ten-foot Grand Canyon oil painting to Sacred Heart College in Los Angeles.

The Henrys had one son, Harvey Pierce Henry, born in 1912, in Los Angeles. Harvey Henry married Phyllis Dorthea Heathcote and had a daughter, Patricia Heathcote Henry in 1940.

Harvey Henry died in 1971 and Phyllis Henry in 1993. Their daughter, Patricia Heathcote Henry, is the sole inheritor of his existing work.

Going over auction records yes, you got a great buy. After I see the painting I will be able to give you an accurate value as they range from(###) ###-####and I want to see what the image is on your landscape. Thank you I look forward to helping you.

Hi checking to see if you had a photo of the painting I can evaluate. No rush just checking in to see.

sorry have flip phone no tech savvy should be able to sun aft. Thanx for patience and excitement of this find. Mr kelly wade

Thank you for letting me know no rush I like to check in and keep up on customers that are sending photos is all. Have a nice night.

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur