Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a 3 foot tall crockery jug that has black in it It

Customer Question

I have a 3 foot tall brown crockery jug that has black in it It came from an old building that we owned that had been built for a saloon in l893
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Please add a picture of this jug with a size reference next to it (soda can) and show a photo of the bottom. You can add pictures by using the ADD FILES button in the lower right of your screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This will be done this week, my granddaughter is making the pictures for me, thanks
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Wonderful! Thank you for letting me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures are made, should receive them tomorrow
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Great, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Granddaughter, Mallory is having a hard time sending pictures. Is contacting someone for help, will get it done this week. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

You can also email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line so that they will forward to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wondering if you received the pictures of my brown jug, thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

No, no photos.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I finally got the photos, thank you so much.

This is a 10 gallon (or more) jug used for transporting and dispensing liquid, most commonly used as a water cooler but also was used for whiskey and wines. This piece has a place for a spout and the two handles are for moving the heavy liquid-filled jug around. The brown is called Albany slip glaze, a glaze that was invented in New York and was used on jugs and crocks that held liquid. This glaze had a quality that kept liqids from seeping, leaking and staining the crockery. This jug looks to be from the southern US based on the construction, I will guess Tennessee or West Virginia to be its origin, then it was shipped to this building that you have described. The jug dates to 1880's time period, so it was in existence before the saloon. That is not unusual because these were re-used and re-purposed up until even this day.

Stoneware has become very soft in the market of antiques because of the recent turn to Mid Century Modern decor, and this had heavily impacted prices for primitives (the category of stoneware). This jug has a current value of $120.00 retail. I would hang on to it for another 5 years, the mid century modern phase is waning and things always come back around!

It is important for you to click the stars once you have read my answer.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have read my answer.

If you'd like to have me assess anything else, start a new question and put 'for rarewares' so that you could get me again.

Let's close this question by having you click the stars.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no other questions, I think your appraisal was ridiculous, a 1 gallon is worth that much, I think this is more than 10 gallons. Please cancel any memberships that I might have with you.
Kathryn Greenlee
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I have been buying and selling stoneware for over 20 years. The value in stoneware is in the decoration and smaller size. Yours has no decoration and is a large size that is not very collectible currently. The small, 1/2 gallon, miniature and 1 gallon jugs and crocks have MORE value than the large, 5 gallon and up sizes.