Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have an original Gainesborough painting it is signed by m

Customer Question

I have an original Thomas Gainesborough painting it is signed by him and says in his writing that it is an original. It's the up close portrait of Lady Scheffield. How much would it be valued at?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Please do add a picture of the painting and of the signatures and writing. You can add pictures by using the ADD FILES button in the lower right of your screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent a photo
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a mezzotint print engraving of Sophia Charlotte Digby (Lady Sheffield) engraved by another artist (possibly Francis Walker) replicating the the painting by Thomas Gainsborough. Gainsborough did only painting and pastel and did not do any engraving. The signature in pencil is just referencing the work and is not Gainsborough's signature. This print was created in the early 1900's based on the paper and the fading. I have enclosed a photo of the original painting, done in 1785. This engraving you have has a value of $200 to $300 dollars.

It is important that you click the stars after you have read my answer.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else you need to know concerning this print? If not, please do click the stars on your screen so that we can close out this question.