Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

12/1/2015
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Can you please upload a photo of the inside of one of the vessels, and the bottom of one of the vessels?

Jennifer

I have added more pictures.
CIMG0253.JPGCIMG0253.JPGCIMG0254.JPGCIMG0254.JPGCIMG0255.JPGCIMG0255.JPGCIMG0256.JPGCIMG0256.JPGCIMG0257.JPGCIMG0257.JPGCIMG0258.JPGCIMG0258.JPG

I'm so sorry for the delay. We had a serious family emergency yesterday. I'll review right now and get back to you.

Jennifer

Thank you for the photos.

Unfortunately, these are late 20th century decorative reproductions. The value is minimal.

I'm sorry for any disappointment.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I see you have not yet rated/accepted my answer. How can I help you further?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Jennifer

How do you know that they are reproduction. Please note that the holes have been done after. It was not made to become lamp! No company or artist would have drill a hole in their signature!!!!What do you think?

These are not artist made. They are mass produced in molds.

I can tell from the materials, the style of molding, and the general look that these are late 20th century reproductions, made in an inexpensive white metal and artificially aged with gold paint.

I've been appraising Chinese items for 22 years, and have made several extended trips to China, so I can usually tell the difference quite easily. In this case, I'm sorry to say, it's clearly and quickly obvious that these are modern factory-made decorations, not antiques or art or anything hand-made.

I'm sorry for any disappointment, but it would not be fair of me to lead you astray just to make you happy.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Please note that it is NOT gold paint but real gold leaf that was applied.

It does not appear so. However, I'm happy to opt out and let all the other appraisers take a look. You do not have to do anything, and there will be no additional charge.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 2 years ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello, My name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. I have reviewed the photos. The inside photos of the set you have is completely opposite of true Shang Dynasty Bronzes. They would not be smooth and have no aging inside. Gold leaf was never used nor known in the Shang Dynasty to be applied to bronze vessels. If gold was used it was liquid gold and applied and rarely on a bronze. The design on the outside is not a shang design I have ever seen and the aging process on the outside was done with acid made to look old. From really reviewing the photos the crusting was done with battery acid and brushed on looking at the vessels you can see where the brush went around and down. The gold leaf on the surface is to perfect to be from the period it was made to be from. The style of the vessel is wrong and if it was truly shang there would have been rings on the sides of this particular vessel design. The holes you speak of are done by drills and not from tools of the shang dynasty. A perfectly circle hole was hard to conquer and wouldn't have been cut in these vessels. I have specialized in Chinese artifacts for 25 years and have become well acquainted in how people have "made" period pieces. To appraise these items we as appraisers have to know our subject matter and how the forgeries are made to point them out to the customers. At best i would agree these were done in 1980-1999 and sold to unsuspecting customers as period pieces. If you recently purchased this set please print this out and go back for your money back. If they sold as Shang Dynasty pieces you have been deceived in the sell. I hope this helps better describe what makes these copies and not the real bronze vessel set from the Shang Dynasty. If I may be offurther help please let me know.

Thank you for your response. Please note that the hole were made by the previous owner and not by artist. Those vessel have been used as lamp when I bought them. I do not agree with the timeframe that you have provided me due to the fact the the electrical the cords, sukets and plugs would date from the 1950. If those vessels are fake and do not represent the Shang Dynasty, which Dynasty would they represent and what the signature means. You may be able to put it together if you look at both vessels. Thank you.

I received your response. Thank you it had said timed out so I did offer the additional service to respond if you wish to accept. In these bronzes, there is no artist mark. The Chinese used characters and seals when they did porcelains and paintings. Bronzes that I know of did not have an artists mark. What I can see where the holes are is not a character or seal but looks to be a design. I can not make enough of the design to even say what it could be. The "dynasty" would be Peoples Republic of China 1949- . The electrical cord being from the 1950s fits in with the Peoples Republic time frame I would accept that however the age is no older then that I can assure you. I even question that age however Peoples Republic of China is 1949 to present.

I am done.

Thank you for the reply. Have a nice evening