Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

My brother painted a 72x48 of in 1997 and it sold in Santa

Customer Question
My brother painted a 72x48...
My brother painted a 72x48 of ***** ***** in 1997 and it sold in Santa Fe for $20,000 3 weeks later. The owners attorney contacted me a couple of months ago, saying they want to sell it and could I find a buyer. I've developed a relationship with ***** *****'s widow over the past few years so I contacted her to see if she's interested in buying it. She's scheduled to call me today and I have no idea how much the original is worth to give her a price. The owners have a six figure price in mind and I need an opinion from an expert.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
11/30/2015
Antique Expert: Wayne, Auctioneer replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Auctioneer

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising art work for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. Please tell me the name of the artist? I see that this has 1/50 after the signature. This usually refers to a limited edition such as a giclee or lithograph. Original oil paintings don't usually have a number. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's a photo of a giclee on canvas, 1/50 of the signed and numbered limited edition we printed in Austin. The artist is Gregory Truett Smith, my brother.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Wayne-I want to be sure you got my reply to your question.

I love his work, however; I can't find any public sales results for original works. From what I understand the original was auctioned in 1997 in Santa Fe for charity. This is very hard to value based on this sale. Charity auctions are notorious for high prices, as many times the buyer can get a tax write off as a donation and obtain a very nice work of art in the process In my opinion this could be worth 6 figures, but I can't find any market data to back this up. Therefore I can't in good faith put a value any where close to what they are asking for this. I will opt-out of this question and open thisvup for other experts to give you an opinion.

Thank you,

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur