Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have two examples of pottery items that appear to be the

Customer Question
same mold and everything as...
I have two examples of pottery items that appear to be the same mold and everything as items I've found on the Internet. But, my items have gold paint highlights. Is this something that someone added after market? For example, I have a Hull Pottery vase that is a giraffe. All of the items online do not have the gold paint highlights that mine have. Similarly, I have a Fitz and Floyd Giraffe bookend. But the ones online do not have the gold hooves or the gold horns that mine has. Can you help me understand why mine have the gold paint and the ones online do not?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
11/24/2015
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your question.

(1) Regarding your 1950s Hull Pottery giraffe planter/vase, you are right, most of these do not have gold enamel highlights, however there are a few that are indeed embellished in this way.

For instance, this one has a gold trimmed midrib to the foliage, as well as the hooves and other details on the giraffe. Here's another with gold on both the foliage and the giraffe, and another with just gold hooves and none on the foliage.

I don't think that the gold embellished ones are any more collectible than the plain, they seem to sell on line (like the standard ones) in the range of $15 - $30 and has a book value (full retail value) of $60 for replacement and insurance purposes.

(2) As regards ***** ***** & Floyd giraffe bookends, in this case your gold version is indeed rare, but not unique.

Fitz & Floyd produced a number of these wild animals in white blanc de chine as bookends and some do indeed have gold hooves and horns, such as this bighorn .

As far as value is concerned, the most sought after bookends by Fitz & Floyd are the equestrian horse jumping ones which sell on line for $200 - $300.

Your giraffes are almost as popular, ranging in value from $60 - $90 per pair, and probably towards the higher end for your golden-hoofed and horned ones. Retail/replacement value $200.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.

Robert S.
Robert S.