Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I picked up a framed picture of a very, very old man at the

Customer Question
Hello I picked up a...
Hello I picked up a framed picture of a very, very old man at the home of a very old woman who was being placed in assisted living outside my state and everything had to go. Naturally, all of the pictures were removed from the walls ahead of time but I did manager to pick up a few things and I hope this one is valuable. It is hard to explain but it is a compartment that opens up, and on the left side is very old tufted red velvet, and on the right is the photo of a very old man as shown by his haircut and clothes with some type of copper (not sure) surrounding the photo. Unfortunately, due to its age, the front and back are not held together. There is a very old tiny curved hook on the bottom piece that locks into a small circular lock on the front cover. I have pictures that I could email you. It measures approx. 2-1/2 x almost 3"; front cover is about 1/4" and back cover is larger, almost 1/2". The photo is black and white and has perhaps copper filigree?? border and both are under glass?? and then there is another different layer of some type of copper filigree. Both outside covers have different designs that you could feel...again not an expert on how to explain.
Thank you.
Barbara Cote ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
11/22/2015
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 2 years ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello, My name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. This is a photo in a personal case. Probably of her husband, father or brother. They were mainly done when they left for war or returned. These types were done in the late 1600s-1800s and were reminders of the man that would be coming home. They are old and fragile however it appears to be in good condition from the age. The value on these run 50-85.00 in todays market. Some were copper and some were actually gold just depended on how rich the family was and how much they could afford. They were treasured photos. Somewhere there may be a name as some did sign or note who they were while others did not unfortunately. People whom collect old photos or historical pictures search for these tyes of framed pictures. they are hard to sale as the demand is not great. If I may be of further help please let me know as I am happy to help always.

This was no help but thanks anyway.

Hi are there more specific items you are wanting to know more about the photograph? I am happy to help more if I can for you.

no your value is unrealistic so I am not satisfied at all with your appraisal.

Not a problem I will opt out and this will allow another appraiser to help you. It will not cost you anymore and there is nothing you will need to do. Thank you I am sorry I could not help you.

Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Good morning,

My name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Please note that I am a certified appraiser with Appraisers Association of America--that's the highest level--and I have 22 years of full time experience.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Lady Tanya's valuation was correct. These photographs, while extremely interesting, do not carry high value in the resale market.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM