Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

We purchased a painting 30 years ago at a public auction. It

Customer Question

We purchased a painting 30 years ago at a public auction. It had hung in the administrators office in a public institution. It is 24" x 36" in size and depicts a German Short Hair dog flushing a quail in the woods in great detail. Artist's name is ***** ***** but appears to be "Naton". We have a friend who is an artist that said Cabelas had commissioned a series of paintings of this nature in the 1960s. Where would we go to find out more information?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

I'd need to see a clear, well-lit overall photo of the painting, and a clear close-up of the signature. You can upload those right into the reply box.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding. We are not very tech savy so it is going to take us some time to figure out how to do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we did this right you should have the pictures. Please let us know.

I do, thank you. I will begin researching this now, it may take a little time.

Jennifer

I'm unable to find a match for this artist. I'm going to opt out and leave this for the other appraisers to view.

You don't need to do anything or pay any additional fees, other appraisers will be able to see this and offer opinions.

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I have not found a match to a listed artist with the last name Naton (with the exception of Avraham Naton, but the style does not match).

I can recommend two auction houses who could possibly help identify this for free. If you like, I can send you that information here.

~OR~

I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At this time we prefer to keep our communications via email.Our interpretation of the communications are: 1) The painting was most likely done by an obscure artist of little renown. 2) The value of this painting will most likely lie in appreciation of the artist's talent rather than monetary. Are we correct?Given the previous options of referral to art galleries or opening the question up to other appraisers, we have no insight into which of these options would be the most productive and would have to defer to your professional expertise.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is likely an unlisted artist, however it is a hunting dog theme painting - which have their own collector niche. The value lies primarily in the subject matter and age, which is circa 1950 - 1970's.

I can refer you to two auction who specialize in dog paintings.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We agree. In our limited experience, this seems the most likely direction that could give us an answer.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

You can contact Bonham's Auctions through their website here:

http://www.bonhams.com/departments/PIC-DOG/

and Doyle's:

http://www.doylenewyork.com/

It is free to contact them and ask for an estimate of value at auction.

~Nora