Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I bought this oil painting at a yard sale and I can't read

Customer Question

I bought this oil painting at a yard sale and I can't read signature. It is unique painting as the painting spills over onto the distressed wood frame in multiple areas. I have attached .jpg of painting. I also have a photo of the signature of artist, which is under the wood frame.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am declining the live discussion via phone. The frame is 16" x 16" square. Attached is photo of back of painting per your request.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

No problem, you do not have to accept the additional services for a live phone call.

Thank you for the image of the backside of the painting. Can you please provide a clear, in-focus close up of the signature.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is hopefully a more clear, in-focus closeup of the signature.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

If you could please send a few more close-ups, I am not quite able to see it clearly here. When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the best photo03.00.
3+++++++++++++++++++++++3.3+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++I am not familiar with using the macro function. However, my granddaughter will probably know and can take another photo of signature when she comes on Thanksgiving.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I can wait as long as you need for photos of the signature. You can post them here at anytime, there is not a time limit.

If I do not respond immediately, it is because I am not at my computer. Please rest assured that I will attend to your postings as soon as I am signed back in again.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Certainly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
Per our previous conversation regarding painting's artist's signature, my granddaughter took a picture of signature with her camera and said she would be emailing it to me today. Will upload new picture of signature as soon as she sends it to me.
I appreciate your patience,
Sue
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the update!

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora,
Here is the updated photo of the artist's signature, taken by my granddaughter. Hope it helps. Seems to be a lot sharper. Can you open a zip file?
Sue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
Looks like 2 of my uploads finally made it. Hope this helps you be able to identify the artist and/painting.
Sue
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sue,

The pictures are excellent, thank you - however I am not able to decipher the artist's signature here.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone does know the answer, they will respond to you here. You do not need to re-post your question.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
The person I bought it from said she bought it at a yard sale in California if that would narrow it down any.
~Sue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora, I waited and no one ever got back with me after you opt-out. I was counting on someone to help me identify the artist of the painting. What style of painting is it that extends out on to the wooden frame?
Sue