Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Glenda, I have a number of pieces of ivory jewelry I

Customer Question

Glenda,
I have a number of pieces of ivory jewelry I inherited from my aunt. They are old. I would like to sell them. Not sure how to do that. If I can't sell them I'd like to donate them somewhere. Any ideas? Rules of thumb?
Thanks,
Susan
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Susan

I am not sure if you have heard but the United States put a ban on all Ivory unless you can proof how old it is. If you can prove it then you can sell it. Do you want to know the market value so you can sell it? If donating it the value would be a little higher.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! So, what constitutes proof? And where does one donate? And either way I guess i need to know value. I'll send photos soon.

Susan

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Susan

You need a receipt of purchase, or papers showing the date of purchase. This is what we have been told but, you might contact your Secretary of State in your State they should know.

Look forward to the pictures. I only do one item per question but for you I do not mind doing three or four pieces per question.