Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have what appears to be a silver teaset ie

Customer Question

I have what appears to be a silver teaset ie teapot/creamer/sugar bowl set on a tray. It is stamped with a star, under the star the name J.B Deppisch and under that Wurzburg. I am unable to download a picture at this time but am looking for any general
information as I am unable to locate any
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Johann Baptiste (JB DEPPISCH) Deppisch was a department store in Wurzburg Germany in the mid and late 1800's. The tea set would have been retailed by this store. During this time, sterling silver would have had a German mark for silver that included a crown and crescent moon. 800 silver, which was more common in Germany, would have the number 800 in addition to the crown and moon somewhere. If it was imported sterling, the country's marks would be on the set somewhere (look inside lip of pots). If these marks are not there, the set is either plated silver (less valuable) or coin silver (more common in the 1830-1850 time period). Without photos, this is as far as I could go. I can give value for the different possibilities;

silver plate $125

sterling silver $1850

coin silver $1250

It is important for you to click the stars after you read my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like to leave this open for the few hours so I can work on getting pictures sent so that perhaps you would be able to give me a better idea of the silver. thank you
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

That would be great! You can use the ADD FILES button on the bottom right of your screen. You can also email to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line so they will get forwarded to me.

Look intensely all over each piece for marks, I am hoping this is sterling for you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to get a good picture of the stamp but couldn't make it work the teapot says 788 and the sugar bowl says 1103 this is the sugar bowl
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to see the mark at all, but I can tell by the matte sheen of the sugar bowl that this is silver plate from the late 1800's, plate at that time was an amalgam of nickel, zinc and other alloys that is then dipped in a liquid wash of silver that often rubbed away with over polishing. The set would have been made by a local German company for the department store. The lack of purity or city marks proves the point that this set is plated. This set would fall in to the $100 to $125 value.

Please do click the stars after you read this answer.