Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a framed, glass over oil painting with the Bonfoey

Customer Question
Hello. I have a framed...
Hello. I have a framed, glass over oil painting with the Bonfoey Co. sticker (Est.1896 FRAMING REGILDING CARVING Cleveland.)
There is a pencil note on the right side of the frame in back: "546 - N.A." Any idea what this might be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
11/16/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

What is the size of your picture and your convenience, please include a photo of the back side (do not remove from frame). There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Hello.

I am confused and want to make sure that I am proceeding correctly.

I understood that I was writing to and receiving a response from someone named "Will." Does my writing to nora mean that I will now be charged an extra $35? Am I still going to hear from Will? Is he going to be paid the $38 removed from my PPal account?

Also, there was a question on top of this response that I had to respond to prior to being able to answer this: Did I want to talk with Nora for an additional $35? That was so confusing...makes me wonder if Nora's/ your response is in addition to the first one I am supposed to be receiving.

Please clarify all of this for me.

Also, I used to have an account with justanswer but when I went to sign in I was told that I needed to register. (This may be what happens to several year old accounts. I don't know. I had good ratings.)

Thanks for your elucidation,

Nancy

The expert Will is no longer a verified user here.

The phone call is an additional services offer and you do not have to accept ut.

There is not an additional charge to communicate with me on this thread.

As for the charge, please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. Experts do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form. For such queries, please email *****@******.***

~Nora

Hello again.

Received your note after I sent your response.

Thank you.

I phoned justanswer after I sent you those questions when I realized that framework questions and concerns should be addressed with them.

Had hoped my post phone call response would reach you prior to your tackling those questions.

All best. N

Thank you for the image of the backside. May I please know the size?

~Nora

Hello, Nora.

I wrote you a detailed response, attached the second photo to it, and sent it to you. After I sent it, I discovered your response to my questions and wrote you about that. Odd that the attachment made it through to you but the text did not.

(I wonder, as our emails seem to have somehow crossed, if my text got somehow deleted? Perhaps the attachment was spared because it went to a different location?)

I shall reconstruct...

The painting measures: 15.5"w x 11 and 5/8" h.

The beautiful brush strokes and colors are muted by the glass covering.

Had thought the surface was canvas but it could be board (masonite?): the piece feels substantial; surface has texture; there is a tiny rough cut edge to left side, bottom edge of piece that looks like board; would maybe partly explain why I could not begin to take piece apart last evening?

Also, bottom left has blue brush painted signature. Can not read.

Artist looks well trained. Painting is beautifully rendered. Beautifully framed. There is a shadow box of frame edge so that the glass does not touch the painting.

On back, less than 2 x 2 inch square of water damage to top layer of paper covering back and frame on lower left corner of painting.

Painting is fully original and intact. I only disturbed it last evening by cutting an edge around the painting thinking I might be able to lift the piece out. No suck luck. (Paper covering the top right edge of the frame in back disintegrated. All the rest is still covered.)

Thank you! N

You mention there is a signature in blue at lower left, however, I do not detect the signature in the image. Please send a clear, in-focus image of the signature you see on your painting.

~Nora

Hello.

Guess that blue painted imagery in the left hand corner can not be considered any type of signature...the brush strokes only began to look like letters today as I was staring at it from different angles.

(What you see in the photo is as clear as it gets.)

Thank you,

N

Hello again,

A clarification:

This painting could very well be painted on a piece of canvas that is placed on a solid surface.

I initially expected to find a stretched canvas when I cut through the paper covering the back and, when I did not, I made an assumption that it could have been on masonite board since I know that is solid. But, I have been thinking about that.

As I mentioned earlier, the bottom left hand corner of the piece was not evenly cut. Whatever material it is painted on is thin and then back with (or mounted on) a solid surface.

The material looks like a woven linen. I do not know if that is more indicative of masonite board or canvas (perhaps unstretched) or another surface.

I just realized that I wanted to clarify what I said after I created the possibility of the blue brush strokes in lower left hand corner being a signature.

Thanks again,

N

Thank you for the additional information and for your patience.

Your original painting dates to circa 1900 - 1920.

It is oil and done in the Pennsylvania Impressionist style.

It is highly unusual for an original oil painting to be framed under glass, though not unheard of. It is likely placed under glass, for as you mentioned, it is not stretched. This does appear to be on canvas or a linen and backed on board.

The pencil note of 546 - N.A. would pertain to the framing order number and does not have bearing on the value nor does it trace to an artist.

Without a signature or note, who painted this cannot be definitively stated.

On today's market, an unsigned Pennsylvania Impressionist style painting of a building in landscape that is framed and measures 15.5" x 11" would sell for a high average of $75 - $125. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $250.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Nora
Nora