Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

11/14/2015
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 2 years ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. i would be happy to help you. Please allow me to do some research posting back here shortly.

here is a biography on the artist and I will now look up his values of copies of his paitings. Now to clarify do you mean prints of his oil paintings or oil paintings by an artist copied of his paintings?

Born on a farm in Voigstaedt, Weimar, Germany, Richard Lorenz became a painter and illustrator of dramatic western scenes, especially of the Plains Indian culture and the consequences of encounters with the whiteman's civilization. His most famous pupil was Frank Tenney Johnson. He was also well known for panoramic* painting and for depictions of horses, genre and landscapes.

As a young person in Germany, Lorenz determined to become a Biblical painter because he was fascinated by the subject of wandering, nomadic people inwilderness areas. He grew up in a village twenty-eight milesnorth of Weimar, and at age 15, began art study in Weimar including atthe Royal Academy of Arts, where his work was recognized with severaldistinguished prizes. One of those prizes was endowed by composerFranz Liszt, and another was the Karl Alexander Prize, which he wontwice. It was the school's highest award. One of his mostinfluential teachers was Heinrich Albert Brendel (1827-1895), famousEuropean painter of animals, especially horses. Other teacherswere landscapist Theodor Hagen (1842-1919) and portraitist Max Thedy(1858-1924).

In May 1886, Lorenz arrived in Milwaukee, Wisconsinwhere he established his career and lived for most of the remainder ofhis life. He has been described by an art historian of that cityas "the most gifted German immigrant artist to settle in Milwaukee."(Merrill 66). Lorenz initially emigrated to Milwaukee at therequest of William Wehner who had formed the American Panorama Company*and then recruited German painters noted for their skills withreligious and historical subjects. The resulting panoramas were hugelengthy canvases, some of them 25 X 350 feet. Lorenz worked on The Battle of Atlanta,which became the company's most famous work. Lorenz specializedin horses, depicting them in every kind of activity and perspective.

From1887 to 1890, he travelled and sketched in the West including Oregon,Arizona, Colorado, Texas, and California. In 1887, he worked withAugust Lohr to install a panorama in San Francisco. While there hesketched scenes of Chinatown and Monterey. On this extensivetrip, he went to the Crow Reservation, and from this experience, didhis first Indian subjects inspired by stories he heard of the SiouxMassacre at Little Big Horn.

He returned to Milwaukee inDecember 1888 to replace Otto Von Ernst as Director of the WisconsinSchool of Design, the new name for the old Milwaukee Art School. WhenVon Ernst returned from a one-year leave of absence, Lorenz stayed onas Assistant Director until the school closed in 1891. Later he taughtat the Wisconsin School of Art maintained by the Milwaukee Art StudentsLeague, and in 1894, he established his own school, the Lorenz ArtSchool.

During his teaching career, Lorenz continued his ownfine-art painting. He frequently traveled West and was especiallyfascinated by storms of the Great Plains. He also did much regionalpainting around Wisconsin, where his trademark subject matter waspanoramic landscape with unique lighting and a sense of anever-expanding country. Milwaukee collectors found his workappealing, and it was widely exhibited. He also exhibited outsideof Milwaukee including Munich in 1891, Paris Salon* in 1901, ChicagoWorld's Fair in 1893*, the St. Louis Exposition of 1904*, and regularlyat the Art Institute of Chicago* and in exhibitions sponsored by theWestern Society of Artists*.

On August 3, 1915, Lorenz died inMIlwaukee from a stroke suffered while walking near his home. Hishealth had been declining and he suffered near blindness fromcataracts. He is buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Milwaukee.

Duringhis lifetime, he was often compared to western painter FredericRemington because he was an important recorder of western subjects forfuture generations. Although the reputation of Lorenz has not been asgreat as that of Remington, he made significant contributions throughhis own canvases and joint-project panoramas in enlightening Easternersof scenes of the American West.

Source:
Peter Merrill, German-American Artists in Early Milwaukee
Peggy and Harold Samuels, An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Artists of the American West
Peter Hastings Falk, Editor, Who Was Who in American Art

I will now look up his values of copies of his paitings. Now to clarify do you mean prints of his oil paintings or oil paintings by an artist copied of his paintings?" Painting is oil on canvas w/ signature. # ***** pen on outer most part of front of canvas and stretched around structure frame is 5701. I removed the decorative frame because it was ugly. On the wood frame is a date of Aug 1988 , $40.00

Hello, after looking through many records I don't feel this was a copy. The information on the frame could have been a price on the frame and not necessarily the painting itself. The signature not does not match the signature of any Lorenz paintings. Here is a gallery that does buy his paintings

Broadmoor Galleries

(###) ###-####br />*****@******.***
www.broadmoorgalleries.com

Broadmoor Hotel
One Lake Circle
Colorado Springs, CO 80906

I would suggest contacting the gallery and seeing what they feel this painting actually is. I found two of his paintings that were signed Lorenz before he really became famous for his painitngs. The painting itself shows expertise. If it is a copy of his work the value would run 200-250.00 if it was an early painting of his it could be worth thousands. This gallery in Colorado may be interested in buying it. They could be of help also as to what they feel it really is as I don't believe it to be a copy of his work. Thank you and if I may be of further service please let me know.

Hello, I was just checking back to see if I may be of further help. Please let me know as I am happy to help .

Broadmoor does not seem to have any examples of the artists work or have him listed in there

I found that link on Askart.com a service I use on artists and it said they had and I clicked back through archives. Here is another link I found on a museum that showcased his works:

Joslyn Art Museum
19th/20th Century American & European painting, sculpture and graphic art. Native American*****br />Omaha, NE 68102
(###) ###-####br />www.joslyn.org

also, I searched for his works of art and found the link below that has several of his paintings.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8znTpE5WWjIA9t5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEydmluZGpyBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjExNzhfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Richard+Lorenz+Artist&fr=mcafee

the link above follows many of his works of art image search that shows his paintings and his signature. I work check further and see what else I can find to help you.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser