Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have an old pantry door which came out of a general store

Customer Question

I have an old pantry door which came out of a general store in Huntington Valley Pennsylvania. the general store dated back into the 1700's. My great grandfather purchased this general store farmhouse in 1915 and was family owned until my uncle tore it
down in the seventies. My dad who was born in this house, salvaged the pantry door with the portrait and another pantry door which he saved and made a coffee table with the portrait facing up. We used it as a coffee table for several years. I remember climbing
on it jumping on it obviously using it as a coffee table wood and when we sold our house in Center Valley we had an antique dealer purchased our home and at that time told my dad that he was crazy to have this as a coffee table and that it was the most valuable
antique he had in the house. So the door came off the table and at this point I now have it hanging on my bedroom wall. I have tried to date this portrait by the clothing but not being an expert the best I could guess is the early 1800's maybe 1700's . I should
know the value of this for insurance purposes.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Based on the height of the front lapels of the jacket and the loose bow at neck, the painting on the wood pantry door dates to circa 1820 - 1830's, or early 20th century. The door could possibly pre-date the painted image to the 18th century - especially based on the history of the original site from which this came.

It is entirely possible, if you sift through records at the county courthouse and historical society of Huntington Valley, PA, you may be able to trace the probable name of the sitter and history of ownership. If the place played a pivotal role in the history, such as the American Revolution - then the value with attributions goes up ten-fold or more. Currently, without any historical attachment, the suggested insurance or replacement value is $15,000 - $18,000.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora