Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a carousel horse that I would like to find out more

Customer Question

I have a carousel horse that I would like to find out more about his origin and history ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** will be happy to help you.
.
Brief Explanation of how the appraisers work on Just Answer for you. The appraisers do not work for the just answer site. We come to the site to answer questions customers ask there. We do not send customers any messages through email. We only communicate with a customer in this message box. We do not send emails asking for anything. After we type a communication to you, you get notified by the site we sent you a message. Just like when you send us a response we get notified so we come to this message area to respond to you. We are not at the Just Answer site, we are independent Appraisers who come to the site.
.
Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal.
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.x
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.x

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.x
Or you may use this method:
.x
Go to www.imgur.com
.x
click on Computer
.x
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.x
Hit open.
.x
Click on Start Upload
.x
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.x
.x
.x
.x
.x
This a completely free photo hosting site, it does not cost one thing to use it.
http://www.photobucket.com/ it is very easy to use, you log in, create an account , make a user name, do not use an email address as user name , then upload your pictures, making them public, then come give me your user name, I have an account and can log into them and see them...
.x
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.x
.x
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.x
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.x
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.x
.x
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glenda, how can you help me with the origin, background and/or value of the horse. He is a outside row horse and the other side has much more detail, but the photo was much darker inside the store..supposedly the tail is real horse hair.The bells are only excess decoration as well as the red ribbon. Please advise...email or cell XXX -XXX -XXXX
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Is this horse marked? If it is not there is no way to know who made it, where it is from, or when it was made, since we cannot see it in person. If you can send pictures, I can see what I can do online with age and value.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glenda, Where would I look to find any markings ? I would think that it's style, facial features and color marking should give some indication of it's origin ?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Yes you would think that would give indication of it's origins but, these have been copied for years from original Antique Horses, those that were produced in Germany, Italy, France and other European Countries. They have been produced by numerous factories in America since the 1800's. The one you have appears to be American Made early 20thC, but if not marked there is no way to know an exact age or who made it. If it is marked it would be on the underside or on one of the lower legs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks I will look and let you know if I find anything ? If it is marked what can you do with that information ? Does it lead us to an origin of a maker and if so, how do we go about get an appraisal ? The horse shows minor stress cracks, but overall it is in Great shape and the colors all appear to be original. To me, a layman, this horse seems to have very destinctive features and appears very artiful in design, maybe realistic is a better word. Thanks again..
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If it is marked yes that can be looked up in books, that we have. If not then it is valued based on what it is and what has sold in the past 12 months or so, at auction or in antique shops that sell this type item. We have access to paid data bases where we can find this information. A value is not a problem at all, it is always hard to find origin or maker when they are not marked. There is no book or data base that has every horse that has been made and painted listed by what it looks like.

Glenda