Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Trying to find value of english silver candlesticks with

Customer Question
candelabra - corenthium columns with...
Trying to find value of english silver candlesticks with candelabra - corenthium columns with herring bone at top. pre 1945 aabout 10", condition excellent
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
10/31/2015
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

One of my specialties is English silver.

Here is the history of the Sissons firm bell mark -

"The firm was established in Sheffield in 1786 as Roberts, Cadman & Co. The firm was managed by ***** ***** Jr. (son of ***** ***** Sr.) and George Cadman (who served his apprenticeship under ***** ***** Sr.). A "sleeping" partner (only financial, until c. 1794) was the Rev. Benjamin Naylor.
They were active as tableware manufacturers in Eyre Street, Sheffield, in the premises owned by ***** ***** Sr.
The partnership, with the addition of George Ingall (1816), lasted until 1826 when was succeeded by S. Roberts, Smith & Co. The partners of the new firm were ***** ***** Jr., his nephew ***** *****, his cousin's son, Sidney Roberts and William Sissons.
In 1833 the partners were ***** *****, ***** ***** and William Sissons. The firm Smith, Sissons & Co., which succeeded following the retirement of ***** ***** in 1848, was a partnership of ***** ***** and William Sissons Sr. lasting until 1858.
The business was continued by William Sissons Jr. and George Sissons under the style W & G Sissons, entering their first mark as ***** ***** in London Assay Office in 1864 (8 Duke Street, Adelphi, WC). Other marks were entered in London in 1866 by William Sisson and George Sissons (9 Eyre Street, Sheffield and***** and in 1887 by Walter Sissons and Charles Sissons (75/77 St. Mary's Road, Sheffield and later on their London Showrooms at*****and***** Holborn Circus).
Later the firm was converted into a Limited liability company and in 1943 the manufacturing silversmiths business was transferred to Bell Reproductions Ltd (a subsidiary firm).
Roberts & Cadman (1785) and Roberts, Smith & Co (1828) registered Old Sheffield Plate marks with the figural symbol of the "bell". The "bell" symbol was maintained by W&C and W&G Sissons in their electroplated silverware."

The "33 GOI" is a factory ID (or pattern) number.

Unfortunately the value of plated silver has dropped significantly in the last 20 years.

My research of current values indicates your l pair of Corinthian plated silver plated candelabra has a retail vintage store value of $650-750 assuming good condition.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to request me in the future, just type "Doris" at the first of the question.

Thank you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser