Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Have what seems an old silver barrel. It opens up to two

Customer Question

Have what seems an old silver barrel. It opens up to two identical sides that have a filigree cover (when its open). The only markings I can find are the number 3 or 8 with what looks like a four leaf clover next. The markings are on both sides of the barrel when its open.
Very hard iten to descrobe
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

One of my specialties is silver.

You have a silver vinaigrette by the Alexander Sturn Factory of Vienna, Austria, which dates 1867-1922.

A vinaigrette has a filigree grill under which would have been placed a sponge-like material filled with a pungent liquid that one would use to relieve the surrounding odors.

One could also use such a piece to revive a fainting owner.

Vinaigrettes are highly collectible. Yours would have a retail antiques store value of $390-500 assuming very good condition.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to request me in the future, just type "Doris" at the first of the question.

Thank you.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris