Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I would like an appraisal on this piece. It is signed and

Customer Question

Hello I would like an appraisal on this piece. It is signed and dated in the back. It is Hight textured. The dimensions of the painting itself is 12x18
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day, my name is***** you for your question. You painting appears to be by Marie RAYMOND (1908-1988)

was a French Tachisme painter. She was the mother of the painter Yves Klien. Numerous works by the artist have been sold at auction. The have sold for $775.00 to $5,000.00 depending on the work and the auction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I hope it is by her. So what are the next steps I should take?Natasha

Are you thinking of selling? Her work sells primarily in France. In the US you should contact Sotheby's and have them look at it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking of selling. Ok thank you I will contact them. I live in Houston, so I guess I can send them pictures as well.I appreciate your help,Natasha

Natasha go to their website: http://www.sothebys.com/en/buysell/sell.html.

and follow the steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!

You are welcome. Please take a moment and rate this answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I have one more question.How did you come to this conclusion? Did you see similar works by her in this style? Or any signatures that looked similar? I could not find much on the Internet.Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the canvas looks American, and she was in France. Is that common?Thank you!

Yes ,you are right that was the one piece that did not match. So I went back to the beginning and searched farther. There is another M. Raymond: Maurice Raymond Canadian (1912 - 1986?) He frequently painted on canvas board, his style also comes close to your painting. Here is a link to a website on his art. http://www.mauriceraymond.org/. Sorry for the error.

His work at this point in time is less known and therefore less valuable. Which why I missed him. At auction they sell for $600.00 to $700.00. So far the auctions are in Canada.