Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

One original oil painting on canvas, 60 x 90 cms in wooden

Customer Question

One original oil painting on canvas, 60 x 90 cms in wooden frame. Titled "Still life with two oranges and masque." by P. Fortunato of Florence, Italy. Originally purchased by Dr. Harold D Belk in September 1988. Dr. Belk passed away in 2008 and his widow seeks to sell the painting and I am assisting. Declaration of originality by Adriana Masini, the proprietor of Galleria Masini, also of Florence, Italy. The artist signed the art. I am interested in having the piece appraised. Can you help?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Fortunato still life.

Thanks for the excellent description. It sounds like a typical example of his work, brightly colored fruits painted with super-realism against a dark background with shadowy props, such as this one with a book.

Not much is known about the artist outside Italy, but Fortunato's paintings do have a modest following and always seem to find a buyer when they occasionally come up for auction, where the top price paid for one of his still lifes is $1300.

As far as the value of yours is concerned, it sounds like you have excellent documentation for it, which is always a plus, in other words, a certificate of authenticity and good provenance, particularly if you can locate the original bill of sale given to Dr Belk when he purchased it in 1988.

As such, and given its size, and going by recent comparables in the sales records, it would sell at auction in the range of $700 - $1000.

It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in a gallery, for instance) of $2000 and is what it should be insured for.

I do hope this helps.

Please let me know if you would like further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert

.