Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I Have what I think to be a H.W Klein by Bramin black

Customer Question
Hello. I Have what I...
Hello. I Have what I think to be a H.W Klein by Bramin black leather office scoop chair. It is slightly different to the ones that I have seen online however it is in absolutely perfect condition. I have photos of it as well. Just wondering if I can confirm the authenticity of it and if so how much it would be worth to the right person.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 3 days by:
10/22/2015
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

My name is***** will be happy to help you.
.
Brief Explanation of how the appraisers work on Just Answer for you. The appraisers do not work for the just answer site. We come to the site to answer questions customers ask there. We do not send customers any messages through email. We only communicate with a customer in this message box. We do not send emails asking for anything. After we type a communication to you, you get notified by the site we sent you a message. Just like when you send us a response we get notified so we come to this message area to respond to you. We are not at the Just Answer site, we are independent Appraisers who come to the site.
.
Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal.
.
To view the answer, you will need to be logged into the web site from your computer.
.

The only way to know if this is real is if it is marked. The H.W Klein by Bramin Chairs were copied by many. So this can only be valued as a like style of the original. Unless this is marked?

Glenda

Hello Glenda,I have had a good look at the chair and can not find any markings of any kind on it whatsoever. I do know that it was originally my grandfathers office chair (my Opa - i come from a dutch family) and buy father has always said that it's a designer chair. My grandfather died in 1981 so I know that it's not a recent reproduction.And indication as to the origin of the chair would be great.Cheers.

Hello

No, I do not think it is a recent reproduction. Here is a little history I found on him if you are interested. It seems he sold the patent to 46 people, there is not telling how many they sold it to. So I do believe the original design of the Chair has a Dutch origin, it was probably made in the United States. I cannot say who made it since it is not marked. I can value this if you like?

History:

Henry Walter Klein was born June 19, 1919 in Norway. His mother was from Norway and his father was from Hamburg, Germany. He grew up in a very small village and transported himself to school on a pair of skies. At one point he wanted to be a sailor, so in 1937 he went to the Royal Ship in Norway in 1937. He earned several degrees in language and mathematics. He loved mathematics, a great passion that lasted his whole life. He used to read mathematic books at bedtime!

During the war he studied and joined the Norwegian Royal Marine. For two years he worked as a cabinetmaker, and then in 1949, he went to Frederikberg Tekniske Skole in Denmark for three years, where Finn Juhl was head of teaching. In 1952, he could call himself "Boligkonsulent" or an interior consultant--what we might call an interior designer today.

Klein married a Danish woman named Tove and they moved back to his home country of Norway, where he started his own business to do interior design for all the shops in the shopping street. Not surprisingly, they all got wooden teak interior!

Klein then started to develop a new method for manufacturing plastic furniture with an engineer. They cannot sponsor all of it themselves because it is too expensive, so they invite people from all over the world to come and see what they have done. Klein sells the patent to 46 people, including Fritz Hansen and Bramin. The contact with Bramin is so good, that Klein and family moves to Bramming (a small village outside Esbjerg, 20 km from the west coast of Jutland), Denmark in 1960 and he starts to work for Bramin. Bramin becomes not only a wood workshop, but also produces upholstery and this new plastic method. It was quite a big business until the Denmark financial crisis in the 1980s.

Bramin had a permanent exhibition in Bella Centret and Klein was allways there helping building up the fairs--mainly because he did not trust other people to do it properly. He travelled around the world building fairs.

When Bramin closed down in the 1980s he started working from home. He lived in San Francisco, so he designed many couches for the American market. He also had contacts in Italy and Thailand, so he travelled a lot around the world.

He has designed furniture for bedrooms, living rooms, churches and hotels and even for the Prince of Saudi Arabia.

where would a mark be on the chair? Please let me know. I did find that history of Klein myself on the internet but have been unable to find where a makers mark on this chair would be.

The chair would be marked under the bottom if it is marked.

Glenda

Failing finding a mark, in your PROFESSIONAL opinion what are the other distinguishing features of this chair that we could use to identify it. What experience do you have with this designer? I have here to fore been unsatisfied with my responses in this service as the only information I seem to have received has been the same that I would be able to find from Google.
Hello Glenda I am still awaiting an answer. Per Justanswer's guidelines I am able to continue asking questions until i am satisfied and I am not. I have not found your "expert" advice helpful beyond what I could already find on google.Please tell me what expertise you have in the field of Danish furniture that I am paying for.

Well my experience is 45 years in the Antique Business, buying selling, appraising. I am very familiar with Danish Furniture, and this designer. Not to mention I have an extensive library on Danish Mid Century Modern Furniture to include this designer. I also have access ( paid ) to the top data bases. You are asking someone to say this is a H.W Klein without it being marked or tagged as such or papers to back that up. Without this chair being marked there is no way an appraiser could honestly, ethically tell you this is what that is. They can tell you it is in the style of! Or it resembles his work or it very much looks like his work. An appraiser in person would be able to physically inspect this, then they would do research in their reference materials, they would inspect other pieces by the designer making comparisons. It is a pretty intense process when the item is not marked. That is why it cost on average of 200.00 per hour.

As for what information I provided for you about the designer, as I stated I was giving some history you may or maynot be interested. We cannot possibly know what information the customer already has. There is no way to know that if the customer does not tell us up front.

I see you responded to me on Oct 25, 8:01 pm. after my response to you on Oct 24 10:04 am. I was not notified by the Just Answer site of either of your responses to me. Since the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site we have customer responses emailed to us, I just got these notices this morning. I cannot say what they delay in that was, you cna contact customer service on Just Answer. They can possibly answer that for you.

My advice is to take this to an Appraiser in person, so they can physically research this for you. This is the only way to prove who made this chair. They and many more like it as all Danish Mid Century Modern furinture was copied by many designers.

I am going to opt out of this now, I do not feel anything I were to tell you or any value I gave you would be to your satisfaction. As I said, you should take this to an appraiser in person.

.

Glenda

Hello Glenda,I have not received another contact from you or this website.I am not satisfied with any of the service that I have received and would like a full refund.
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur