Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

What is the possible asking price Iolanthe 8 day clock mfg.

Customer Question
What is the possible asking...
What is the possible asking price for an Iolanthe 8 day clock mfg. by Welch, Spring & Co. in Forestville, Conn
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 2 days by:
10/18/2015
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi and thanks for choosing us. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

I'm going to attach a picture. Can you tell me if your clock looks like this or not?

.

Thanks,
Diana

My clock is the same so far as the wooden case on the front. The glass has been replaced and the pendulum does not have a white insert. It has a gold colored design that appears to be the shape of a five leaf clover. This clock is in perfect running condition but the wood had some minor repair.
The face on mine is indicative that it is the original since it appears to be brown from ageing. It is key wound and strikes on the half hour and the hour with the full number of strikes on the hours. Has been fine tuned by a clock master.

Hi.

Thanks for getting back with me. I appreciate it.

.

The differences are just due to variations within the Iolanthe model line. The case is the major design aspect. Welch, Spring and Co was a subsidiary of E.N. Welch Manufacturing. E.N. Welch was in business from about 1864 to 1902. They produced somewhat higher quality clocks under the Welch, Spring and Co name from 1868 to 1884.

.

Your clock should date to about 1880 or so. The Iolanthe is a beautiful parlor clock. Much of the decoration is applied. Without the original glass, the value does take a bit of hit, but it's much better than having damaged glass. Even with that repairs, it should still be worth about $250 to $350.

.

If you decide you want to sell it....prices will vary a bit depending on the condition and where you try to sell it. Online markets (like Ebay) and garage sales tend to go for far less than the actual value.

.

Etsy is turning out to be a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores, but they generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey, but they do get the "higher" paying customers.

.

http://www.bonanza.com, GoAntiques and Artfire are great up and coming sites as well. Etsy would be great for something like this.
.

You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops, especially if you have any higher end shops near you. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.
.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.

When you get the survey in email please consider filling it out. These ratings should be based on my professionalism and courteousness to the customer. I am not responsible for any issues with the site or any values that are not as high as expected. I cannot control either one. Thank you so much!

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great evening.
~Diana

Hi.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need?
.

Was there a problem with the answer I provided on your item? I notice that it was not rated, which means I have not been credited for my work. If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns yo have.

.
If you are having any technical problems be sure to let me know. Some of my customers have had problems trying to rate from an iphone or an Ipad. If that's an issue I'll be glad to help. If not, and you have a moment, a rating would be greatly appreciated.

.
If you've already rated it, thank you very much and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Thanks!
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser