Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT AN OLD FIBER CANVAS WITH PICTURE.

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to find out as much as i can on this art, what is it made of...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This art form is called "Papal Amate" or Paintings on Amate bark paper. This was made in Mexico, and they are produced through a trade alliance among two Native tribes the Otomi who make the paper an Nahua who decorate it. Yours would date to the mid 20th century at the earliest. They are sold to the tourist and decorator trade. On today's market, this could sell for $15 - $30 at auction. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $50.

Here is a link for you about Amate paper and how the art evolved:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amate

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora