Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

To Whom It May Concern--- I inherited the doll shown in the

Customer Question

To Whom It May Concern---
I inherited the doll shown in the photos below, and am trying to ascertain if it has any value, or at least enough value to bother pursuing it, and, if so, where I can find the most advantageous market to realize the maximum gain. I’m wondering if someone there might be willing and able to answer my question and point me in the proper direction to follow up on this project. Any information and/or advice will be greatly appreciated. Please advise should there be a fee involved for your services.
The doll itself appears to be porcelain, is about 7” high, has eyes that close when horizontal and open and are blue when upright. The hair is painted on. On the chest there’s a round stamp reading, “MILDRED”; The Prize Baby; Germany; and in the center a “C” in the middle of a small dot. On the front of the neck, where it slips down inside the body, is what appears to be either “17” or else “77”. Impressed into the back is “Cupaby” (?); “Mildred The Prize Baby”; “Germany”; “880-17”. Below that, written in ink apparently, is “1005/880/17” and then “108 ANb” and then “125”.
If further information is required, please don’t hesitate to contact me at your convenience.
THANX MUCH!
Jack XXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** will be happy to help you.
.

This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars!

.
Brief Explanation of how the appraisers work on Just Answer for you. The appraisers, do not work for the just answer site, we come to the site to answer questions customers ask there. We do not send customers any messages through email. We only communicate with a customer in this message box. We do not send emails asking for anything. After we type a communication to you, you get notified by the site we sent you a message. Just like when you send us a response we get notified so we come to this message area to respond to you.
.
Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal.
.
To view the answer, you will need to be logged into the web site from your computer.
.
The Doll Mildred The Prize Baby Germany 880-17 from Germany, commissioned by Borgfeldt of New York for his line of Prize Baby all bisque dolls, circa 1925; the name "Mildred' refers to the designing artist. Very Few examples of the model baby exist.

The Doll has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00, one sold for $1800.00 at Theriault’s The Doll Masters Auction. You can contact them here if you are interested in selling yours. 1-***-***-****.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained.
.
If you wanted to sell yourself you can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.
.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.
.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.
.
You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! Please let me know if you rate this answer, if it did not go through then I can take appropriate measures to make sure I am credited for this. Thanks for letting me know.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello
Hi, I'm just checking in to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help!"
If there was a problem with the answer I provided for you?
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First, it seems the primary interest of the entire site is geared toward collecting fees, as opposed to giving any useful service or information to the users of same. Secondly, while I realize the 'expert' has no control over the price of the item(s) involved, it strikes me that in my case numbers were simply plucked out of thin air. I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but the little searching I did regarding "Mildred", the doll in question, revealed auction prices ranging from $3,500.00 to $6,000.00, while 'just answer' came up with an estimate of $1,000.00 to $1,500.00; quite a disparity, I'd say, and well outside any normally acceptable variance. Needless to say, I won't be back.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello

Just to let you know the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site we do not work for them. We come to the site to answer questions that customers post to the site. We have nothing to do with the customers accounts or business dealings with Just Answer. We are not privy to any information regarding the customers account. We are just a user of the site like the customer is. We have been verified to come to the site to answer questions, that is all we do.

If you have a problem with the account you will need to contact customer service at the Just Answer site you can do so by clicking " Contact Us" at the bottom of the page.

.

I am sorry I cannot control what the dolls have sold for in the past 12months, where appraisals are derived from. I do not make the values.

One sold on Live Auctioneers for 1700.00, the one sold at the leading doll auction house Theriault’s The Doll Masters Auction, for 1800.00.

One on Worthpoint sold for $1500.00.

I am sorry I did not find any sold for the prices you mention.

Glenda