Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Hoping to determine the value of a pre. 1944 Obuko Japanese

Customer Question

Hoping to determine the value of a pre. 1944 Obuko Japanese silver tea set in 950 silver. It is not copper it is solid. To my knowledge my grandmother purchased it while living there during the war. It includes 5 pieces not including the lids. I have not cleaned it yet and am not sure if I should pre sale. I would like to add a photo but I am not sure how to attach it.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars!

Brief Explanation of how the appraisers work on Just Answer for you. The appraisers, do not work for the just answer site, we come to the site to answer questions customers ask there. We do not send customers any messages through email. We only communicate with a customer in this message box. We do not send emails asking for anything. After we type a communication to you, you get notified by the site we sent you a message. Just like when you send us a response we get notified so we come to this message area to respond to you.

Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal.

The Okubo Sterling 950 Tea Service Made in Japan has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.

Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.

You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.

If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.

Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.

You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! Please let me know if you rate this answer, if it did not go through then I can take appropriate measures to make sure I am credited for this. Thanks for letting me know.

Thank you so much!
Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glenda, I saw a similar obuko tea pot only listed on eBay for $2500. I am concerned that your estimate is low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My comparative research estimates it close to $3000. To 3500. Canadian.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Was that price a sold price? Or a listed price? We only give values of what has actually been sold in the past 12 months, not list values. The actual value of this set is listed at 2800.00 to 3500.00. The selling prices are all over the board. I did do some further research, getting into some auction house data bases, and a few other places, to check their recorded sales, and found that in 2011 a set sold for 3000.00, and in 2010 a set sold for 2900.00.

The most current actual sales prices of 2015, are these.

Here is one on ebay that sold for 1200.00 Jan 2015 http://www.ebay.com/itm/261725673691

Here is one that sold at Dallas Auction for 2000.00 with the very large tray, which increases the value if you have it. : http://dallasauctiongallery.hibid.com/lot/445939/5pc--japanese-okubo-sterling-silver-tea-service?date0=4/29/2003&date1=1/11/2015&tab=0&apage=4&cpage=2

You can list this Tea Service for the value you feel your local market will handle, or list it on Ebay and list it for the full value, it is very possible it would sell for that. I just did not find any that sold in 2015 or 14 for those high of prices. I found several listed that high but they did not sell.

.

Thank you so much!
Glenda