Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a cream on cream wedgewood footed oval bowl.

Customer Question

I have a cream on cream wedgewood footed oval bowl. approximately 3 inches in height and 8 x 10. it has double wicker looking handles. and embossed design on the foot and on the top outer rim. I cant seem to find what type of bowl or dish it is. can you help me?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Do you have any photos of the piece you may be able to send? There are a few different options to send pictures to us, they are as follows: UPLOAD:The link below will direct you through our upload processhttp://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert EMAIL:You can also email pictures to support@justanswer.com with ATTN MTantiques in the subject heading. Be sure to include the link to your question page in the email for our customer service. The emails can take up to a few hours to process, but as soon as I receive it I can send my evaluation.Thank you for your time,Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for attaching those photos.

The piece looks to be a centerpiece bowl, but I am not exactly sure. I am going to opt out and give one of our other experts a shot at this one.

The pictures will be a big help.

Thanks,

Frank

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

By shape, being a pedestal footed bowl with stylized handles, this is technically referred to as a compote.

This would have been used as a table or sideboard display piece usually for fruit; usually it would come as a pair and with a larger centerpiece.

Here is a link for you to a comparable example, not an exact match, of a creamware footed pedestal compote:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/dining-entertaining/platters-serveware/leeds-pottery-pierced-creamware-compote/id-f_1245124/

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ones I have seen all seem to be taller and larger so I wasn't sure. Can you give me any info about the markings and or dates the bowl was made?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I can help with the dating. Could you please confirm the words on the impression stamp with two lines? Is one of the words "England". This information will help aid in the dating. You can send it at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mam.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

The use of the word "England" on the piece indicates that the oldest it could be is 1892 when the McKinley Tariff required country of origin stamps on all items.

The two impression stamped letters *might* indicate the year, can you please confirm the letters for me.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DU
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Please allow me some time to see if this will yield the year made information for you.

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

The word England was used only from 1891/2 - 1908. The letter D should be the indicator for the year 1901.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea on rarity. I can't find any info on this particular piece.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In general, creamware by Wedgwood made in the late 19th through 20th century is not rare. The most desirable, rare creamware pieces are from the early 19th century and the decoration is pierced or reticulated. Those are rare because less survive. Over the passage of time, your piece will also gain in rarity as the likelihood that less will survive into the future (i.e. from breakage or damage) and eventually be considered rare.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora