Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

My grandmother received a black (?) oval table with a rose

Customer Question

My grandmother received a black wood (?) oval table with a rose painted in the center for her wedding in 1919 in San Francisco. The edges are curved all around the oval top, and about 2 inches deep. There is some crackling in the top. It is 59" wide, 30" high and 16" deep. There is a shelf built into the legs, which curve slightly outward. I haven't been able to find anything online with which to compare it. Please look around for me and see what you can come up with for type of wood and value.Thanks
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

From your description this sounds like it may be hand painted ebonized wood, which when decorated with florals is referred to as toleware. I would be better equipped to make a comparable match for you if I could see the item that you have. Would you be able to send photos? It does not cost extra to send pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The correct dimensions are 29w 20d 28h.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images. The style of surface decoration on your table is referred to as "japanned" which means it has been blackened to look like lacquer. The legs are in the Queen Anne Revival style. The floral painting is a form of tole decoration. Without a stamp or country of origin mark who made this and where cannot be definitively stated. It is likely American and dates to the early 20th century. This planter with shelf display table can sell for a average of $150 - $300 on today's market. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $600.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a stenciled number on the underside of the 1919 tole table. It is 6027. And I can resend the picture.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

The 6027 is an in-house inventory number that would be used as a quality-control and inventory number. Unfortunately, the number itself cannot be used to trace back to a maker. You re still welcome to send the image of the numbers if you like.

Sincerely,

Nora