Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

Chinese or Japanese? Covered jar, metal, 10" tall, 8-1/2"

Customer Question

Chinese or Japanese? Covered jar, metal, 10" tall, 8-1/2" diameter, exterior beautifully painted with flowers, black, blues, white, orange, turquoise, some gold cloisonné?; interior painted blue, gold rims, marked on bottom with orange y surrounded by 3 blue squiggles surrounded by white circle inside black square. Purchased in a charity shop in Devon, England.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 2 years ago.

Good day, my name is***** can identify and value your covered jar I need to see images of the whole item and the mark. Please attach clear photographs using the paperclip icon found on the tool bar.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What pictures do you need, other than the mark?

One of the whole Jar.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sending 6 pics. The first one I sent was of the whole jar. If that's not right, please be more specific. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When am I supposed to credit the expert?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to go out so I'll credit the expert when I return.

Thank you, ***** ***** are just right. Credit it, when you receive an answer.

Your Cloisonne ginger jar, was made in the 20th century probably in China, it has a current auction value range of $200.00 to $450.00.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Tim,
I sent 2 questions yesterday but they may have been lost. I would like a more accurate answer as to when and where this covered jar was made. Is there somebody who can identify the maker's mark? It's distinctive. If you can find the maker, I will be happy to credit you with 5 stars and get back to you with other pieces. Thank you.

I will opt-out and let another member of the team look at it.