Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

My husband showed me a very old book over 21 years ago that

Customer Question

My name is***** My husband showed me a very old book over 21 years ago that I have not been able to have appraised. He said it was his grandfather's. We now live in South Florida and the humidity is causing damage. At any rate, it is written in Latin on parchment. Someone told me it was at least 400 years old. I meant to tell you that my husband was from Europe, and we had it shipped to the states with other belongings. Forgive me for rambling, but I just lost my precious darling on July 18th.
Thank you, *****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.

Hi Carol,

I am very sorry for your loss.

From your description, this book sounds to be a handwritten psalter that would have been used for Catholic Mass. The parchment could possibly be vellum which is sheep skin.

For value, you can factor $100 - $150 per page in the book. If there are pages with colorful large letters or illustrations, those pages cab garner up to $200.

~Nora