Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a more like chest than trunk. Hong Kong stamp on

Customer Question
hardware. Detailed heavily (5/8") carved...
I have a more like chest than trunk. Hong Kong stamp on hardware. Detailed heavily (5/8") carved in nautical style of the camphor packing chests. Lion's paw feet. Seems to be camphor lined but carving in a "teak" like wood. Weight about 150 lbs. 51" H 33" W 20" deep. Multiple rounded tops. Center round opens to compartment, 3 locking drawer under, locking doors on both side with shelf. I have an antique store and none of us have seen anything like it. Got it from a few dealer years ago as a gift, she bought it from a distressed neighbor not that it matters. Looking for someone to send some pictures to that can identify, value.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
9/8/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hi There~

My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.

At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.

Sincerely,

Nora

Nora,
I set up public photos of the chest on Facebook. Search for friend 'Esteban Yar Notrom' my company name. There are 30 odd detailed photos. If that doesn't work for you then we will have to figure something else out. I'm assuming all the requests to rate your answer is auto generated. I can't rate an answer I don't have yet. Thanks - looking forward to what you think we have on the floor.

Hi there,

Yes, the request for rating emails are auto-generated by the company - please disregard.

I am not on Facebook - one of the few hold-outs of it - and I am not familiar with how to find "Esteban Yar Notrom" on there. If you can send a link to the page, I will gladly look at the images for you.

~Nora

Then we'll put on hold for a while. You can't view FB without an account. I'm caulking the boat this week - weather dependent activity. I'll think about it for a bit and get back to you.

A super easy, fast method, which is free and no sign-in required is to go to:

http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".

2. Double click the image you want to upload.

3. Click "Start Upload".

4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

The address I need will look like this example: http://imgur.com/mA2ju

Nora, I setup a public Google Drive folder. Try the link below. It appears the drawer sides, bottoms and a 3/8 " liner in the side compartments is chamfer wood. Sure smells good.https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0G2CrqZUGYufjE5UU1ORmt0MjZ3eEl4Wk8ydVlLb2NTNXkzemxWYmVJY1Q3dFowNFVGR1U
FYI - your link to imgur.com has a pesky little period after it thus resolving into "unknown domain: www.imgur.com."
if you cut & paste you may want to remove the period from your source file. Be that as it may I tried Imgur but it failed to load 31 photos and stalled after ten minutes trying. So question is - does the Google Drive link work for you?

The google drive link is not working for me here :(

~Nora

Nora, I don't know to tell you. It works for me just now clicking on the link on this page and has worked flawlessly for everyone I have emailed or texted it to test. Phones tablets and desktop computers. I will email the link to your support staff as the last try at this.

When I copy and paste the link provided, I get an Error 404 page.

~Nora

Support emailed they forwarded the folder to which hopefully means the photos and not the link. I don't understand why you are copying and pasting a hyper link in the first place - just click the link.

On my end of the conversation board here, it is not highlighted as a hyperlink with ability to click. I did get a forward from support, with nothing attached.

I will opt-out here and maybe another expert will be able to access the images.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely

Nora

Nora
Nora