Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers. Author of 3 books on collecting.
57035021

Judith, We have a chandelier with four matching lamps that

Customer Question

Judith,
We have a chandelier with four matching lamps that are mounted on the wall in our dinning room. It appears the wiring for the lights was done after the fact. How would I go about locating the value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 2 years ago.

Hi John,

Can you shoot me some pictures, please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Judith, I hope these pictures will help.
Thanks

Hi again, John!

The first thing I notice is that the chandelier an the sconces are not a match. The second thing is that the chandelier did not start its life as an electrical one. It was most likely originally a gas lighting fixture.

The sconces, which are polychrome bronze, were made circa 1930. If they are in excellent working and cosmetic condition, their current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $200 each. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $80 each, depending on location and actual condition.

The chandelier, which is a five arm bronze piece, was made in the late 19th century, possibly in France. If it is in excellent cosmetic and working condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $600. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $240, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, John.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

Please keep in mind I am only compensated by the site for my answer if you rate me positively.

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!

Hi!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.