Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have s brass statue my parents bought in the early 60s.

Customer Question

I have s brass statue my parents bought in the early 60s. About 18 inches high, labeled la grace de dory and stamped Bouret, also says pinedo bronzer Paris. It's a peasant women with a string inst
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The label is " La Grace de Dieu
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This sculpture is the artist's depiction of an 18th century woman based on a character from the 19th century French novel, ‘Sans Famille’ by Hector Malot in 1878. This La Grace de Dieu sculpture is a copy of the original literature-inspired bronze sculpture by French sculptor Eutrope Bouret, born in 1833, famous for his female figures cast in bronze. The label would suggest it was recast by Pinedo Bronzier Paris circa 1890-1910. This piece should be bronze with these marks. It is hard to determine from the photos if this has the coloring of bronze or not (because of the lighting). If it is extremely heavy and has a chocolate finish, then it is bronze. It could be gilded bronze as well. If this is bronze, the sculpture has a value of $2,000 to $3000.
If it is determined to be brass or spelter (combination of zinc and tin) then it is worth $200-$250.00. I would highly suggest taking this piece to your local auctioneer to ask about the composition of this piece. This is something that requires a physical examination, a service I can't provide on the internet. The information I have given is a good amount so that you know the value and origin of this piece once the other variable is known.
Please do click the stars to rate me as a positive rating is how the site compensates me.