Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I know you opted out on me but I did find two names J F

Customer Question

I know you opted out on me but I did find two names J F Nagle 1881
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

I am so sorry but I do not know which painting you are asking about. You sent several photos in your previous questions.

Please send the following information so I can give you the most current and accurate answer.

1. A photo of your painting by J F Nagle

2. The sight dimensions of your painting

3. The medium used for your painting - oils, watercolors, pastels...,etc.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is done in oils 10.5x17 inside the frame
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information and photo.

Please tell me if there is some cracking in the center of the painting or is that just the lighting on the photo?

Condition is one of the factors in assessment.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is cracking. I found it hanging above the water heater
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for all the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

James Frederick Nagle was born in 1833. He lived and worked in Pennsylvania. He was primarily known as a wood engraver.

After extensive research, I found little more information about him.

My research and experience indicate that a retail art gallery would price your framed painting in fair condition at $450-500. If the condition were better, the price would be much higher.

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

I suggest the you try artbrokerage.com selling

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

Contact:***@******.***

Plus try ads on sites such as

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small or not existent.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had managed to find his birthdate & place on Google but since it said wood engraver I didn't think they were the same person. I Googled again yesterday and found him listed in the Historic New Orleans database of artist who worked in New Orleans.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

There was also a judge by the name of J F Nagle who was a trustee of an art institute.

Artists often work several mediums. For example, I was just working on a question about a lithograph and most of what I was able to find about the artist was on his paintings although he had been described as primarily a lithographer.

Your painting does not appear to be an example of the typical work of a New Orleans

artist from 1881. Most of what we see from this period in New Orleans is a trend toward impressionism.

I firmly believe that your painting was done by the PA artist as I described.

Thank you for asking me to clear this up.

Please consider giving me a positive rating.

Kind regards,

Doris