ObjectsConservator1
ObjectsConservator1, Restorer
Experience:  30+ years of conserving and restoring museum and private-owned objects.
75944346

Can you tell me what this is and what it's worth thanks.

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.

This is called a sideboard and was used in the dining room to hold overflow servings on top and extra flatware and serving pieces in the drawer and doors. This piece was made between the 1930's -40's based on the styling and is an American piece, maker unknown. It looks to have water marks and some veneer loss, so that detracts a bit from its value. This piece has a value of $50.00 in this condition

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've had offers for $200 on this piece. I'm confused why you'd say it's only worth $50.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.

It is in poor condition and is a fairly common piece in most areas of the country. If someone has offered you $200.00, you should definitely take that offer as that is a very good price.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'd like a new expert thanks
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.

Sure, I'll opt out and allow another expert to step in.

Expert:  ObjectsConservator1 replied 2 years ago.

A photo of the back of the piece would be helpful, especially to see how the wood was cut and the construction. It might be earlier than 1930-1940. There appears to be only one of the original pulls missing, and they look more in the Eastlake style, which was late 19th c..

I'd say that the overall condition, despite the dirt, white marks, and some minor losses, is fair to good. A few hours of careful and proper cleaning and some spot touch-up/repair (no stripping or 're-finishing', would put this into the 'good' range. Van Dyke's Restorers sells restoration hardware on-line, so you can probably find a matching pull and tone it in to blend in. The resale/retail range would then be $400-$600, in my opinion.

Hi. Can you send the other images when you get a chance? I'll probably be able to tell more from those.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here's a couple more. This is a piece we found in a storage unit and put in the storage office and several antiques people seem to think it's a valuable piece but don't know or say exactly what it is. Thanks