rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques and collectibles
73504548

Have a hallmark with initials W.S that appears to be in a

Customer Question

Have a hallmark with initials W.S that appears to be in a heart shaped stamp, also showing a Crown 800 next to it. Any ideas..?
Thank You
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed.

The number 800 tell us the purity of the silver used- which in this case was a 80% purity. To decipher the rest of the mark, I would need a picture of the mart and a picture of the piece, could you provide them? I will also need-approximately- the dimensions.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert
Thanks for your initial response to my question, I was aware of the purity marking but it's the rest I am baffled on. Please see the attached images to hopefully help your research. Also the overall dimensions of the piece are approx' 11" x 7" x 5"
Kind Regards
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

German hallmarking system was unified in 1888 adopting the national mark "crescent and crown" indicating in thousandths the fineness of silver. This system is still in use in present days. This information tell us that your piece is German. There are a lot of British manufacturer with initials WS, but the German one was not identified yet. I'm sorry for this, I would find other past auction sales of "WS german 800 silver" and they listed as unknown manufacturer-for example, in Bonhams, which is major auction house. We do known from the mark that it's German and that it was manufacturer in the early 1900s.

Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.

The value will be in the range of 1,000-1,600$.

Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!