Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have an old book that belonged to 's grand daughter Nelly.

Customer Question

I have an old book that belonged to ***** *****'s grand daughter Nelly. It is from 1794 and has verification. She lived with George and Martha and was quite well known in her own right. It is in good condition for its age. What do you think a range of value might be??
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.x
PLEASE DO NOT RATE THIS UNTIL AN ANSWER HAS BEEN GIVEN. DO NOT RATE, WHEN INFO IS BEING GATHERED.!
.x
Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal.

What is the name of the book, title, who published it., when was it published?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't a title per say. There is an inscription on the front To Eleanor Custis. It is a gift to her from a famous sculpture of the time Cerrachi, it was sent to her from Rome as a gift. It has 1794 inside the cover. So the value in this is the age of the book, and it is confirmed that it is 1794, and the fact that this belonged to G. Washington's step grand daughter Nelly whom he later adopted. She was extremely well known during her life and lived with George and Martha during the revolutionary war and after. This was obtained by my grandfather in the 1960's at an auction and is authentic. It is kept in Oregon in a safe deposit box at a bank.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.x
.x

.

I am sorry I have not found one item that would give the value for this book based on this information. There are no recorded sales in any data base, site, auction house etc. that would lead to a value based on a book being owned by her. You will need to take this Book to a Rare Book Appraiser in order for them to look at this in person, in order to establish a value. I can help you find one in your area if you like.