Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I recently purchased some jewelry from an estate. One of the

Customer Question

I recently purchased some jewelry from an estate. One of the items is a Bates & B. gold lions head bracelet w/ Ruby eyes and diamond mouth. I can't find the exact match on the internet. What is the process to get an appraisal? thanks, Janet
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.

This a bracelet made by Bates and Bacon of Attleboro, MA. They were in business from 1856 to 1943. Your piece is considered Victorian/Edwardian jewelry , dates to 1900 to 1910, and is a gold filled piece (not solid gold) as this company did not make solid gold jewelry. The mark should read 1/20 14kGF which means 1/20th of the bracelet's content is gold and the rest is other metals like brass and nickel. They made this bracelet in hinged bangle form and in link form ; both with the lion head and faux garnet and rhinestone. The bracelet you have has a value of $300 to $400.00.