Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

My mother recently located her father's baby cup. It could

Customer Question

My mother recently located her father's baby cup. It could be pewter or some kind of substantial metal. It is not light, but it is not HEAVY. The bottom has a circular ring with the name PAIRPOINT MFG CO NEWBEDFORD MASS on the outside and on the inside the words QUADRUPLE PLATE surrounding a triangle mark that appears to be a "P". Also on the bottom is the number 480. The outside is decorated with a garland of flowers (I don't know what they are) near and surrounding the lower portion and the upper portion has what appears to be holly leaves and a couple of flowers. His name, "WILLIAM" is engraved on it and there is an indentation right at the bottom of the cup handle and then two more evenly spaced around the sides. The top of the loop handle has a decoration that might be holly berries.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a silver plated baby cup, also called a christening cup, given to children as gifts before or at their christening. This was made by Pairpoint Mfg. Co of Massachusetts in pattern number 480. Pairpoint made these items from 1880 to 1929. Silver plate means that the cup is made of a base metal amalgam of nickel and zinc, then was dipped four times in a wash of silver. Sterling silver, on the other hand, is 92.5% silver throughout.

The custom of baby cups dates to the Victorian period, so this piece is from the late 1800's (or just ask when your grandfather was born and that is when it was made). This piece has a value of $35.00.

Please click the stars to rate me. The site will only compensate me if the question has a good rating.