Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a English Regency recaimer. Do you have referrals or

Customer Question
I have a English Regency...
I have a English Regency recaimer. Do you have referrals for appraisers or auctions that would that would get this item in front of an appropriate crowd.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
8/24/2015
Antique Expert: Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Can you give a rough idea of where you are located? Possibly the next closest metropolitan area? Are there any damages to the piece?Thanks,Frank
I am relatively close to Louisville KY. The piece only has one spot less than the size of a nickel that has been damaged and possibly repaired prior to me obtaining it. The only thing I've seen similar to it was a regency recaimer and it has one smudge or spot on the upholstery, but I have never tried to do anything to it. Smudge should be visible in photos I sent. Otherwise it is solid and the wood work is dramatic and there is more of it than I've seen on other pieces similar to that I've found on the internet.
The damaged spot I was referring to was in the wood. My apologies for leaving that detail out.

That's not a problem at all.

Based on both your location as well as the piece and the condition, The first place I would recommend contacting Cowan's Auctioneers in Cincinatti, OH.

http://cowanauctions.com/info.aspx?id=32

That would be the closest choice for the piece.

As far as where I would send it if distance was no option, that would be Skinner's Auction house in Boston.

http://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/

They deal with a lot more furniture especially older pieces such as yours and would be an ideal location as far as a buyer's market and decorum to sell the piece.

I hope this information was helpful to you today.

Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Frank

Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.

I was also wanting to get advice on where in the Louisville area would be best to get an appraisal strictly for insurance purposes. The piece is sentimental to me and selling it would depend on what I can or can't get for it, but until then I definitely want to have it insured. I never spent much time looking into it because of the sentimental value and when I did look it up I was looking at Victorian fainting couches which is what I was told it was when it was bought for me. I also would rather find an appraiser that will come to me. It's quite a long piece and has only been moved three times in the 19 years I've had it. I can't imagine it was passed from hand to hand to terribly much before I got it or the condition of the wood would probably show it. If I could find someone very reputable and somewhat familiar with this type of piece I would be willing to take it to any of the surrounding larger towns such as Indianapolis, Louisville, Cinci, or even Nashville. Does the Cowan's you referred to do appraisals for insurance or just for resale. Obviously I would prefer to pay to have it appraised by someone who thinks it's not for sale 1st. I appreciate your help.

If you are able to do so, I would 100% recommend Cowan's as a first stop in the area for the insurance appraisal.

They would be able to handle the appraisal for replacement as well as sales purposes of you should so choose.

The furniture market currently is a bit down, so it may be a good idea to get the insurance value and hang on to it as opposed to selling now .

Frank
Frank