Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I bought 2 "The Master Hn2325. One is larger than the other

Customer Question
by an inch or so...
I bought 2 "The Master Hn2325. One is larger than the other by an inch or so. The smaller one's 5 is not totally complete. Why are they different sizes? Also the dog on the larger one is darker and the man's scarf is more detailed with pronounced blue dots. Although the marking HN 2325 is clearer the rest of the stamp numbers are hard to read. The smaller one all markings are clear except for the 5 in HN 2325. Could it be a be a 6?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
8/20/2015
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Hi and thanks for choosing us.

My name is ***** ***** I'd like to see if I can help.
Many Royal Doulton figurines do have some size differences. Between slight mold variations and what they used to make the figurines (such as earthenware compared to porcelain) there have been some size differences between many of the figurines and the old character jugs.
Unfortunately, some are a different size because they're fake. Fakes are generally made by using clay or plaster to create a mold of an authentic piece. In those cases a fake would generally be about 1/2 to 1 inch smaller.
It's hard to authenticate them online, but I'll be glad to try if that's what you're looking to find out.
Can you tell me what size they both are? Do you have a photo of the figures side by side so I can see the details that you're talking about in the color and the detail in the scarf?
If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos.
.
Here's another way that works really well:
.
Go to http://www.imgur.com.
Click "Computer".
Double click the image you want to upload.
Click "Start Upload".
When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.
.
If those don't work you can email them.
.
Email the pictures to***@******.***
.
They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.
.
Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.
.
That should do it.
.Thanks,
Diana
Thanks for your reply Diana,
They are difficult to measure, but The one with more blue on the scarf is about 6 1\8". The plainer scarf and lighter dog is 5 7\8". I hope that this is helpful. Also the mens heads are tilted at a slightly different angle.. The bluer dotted scarf man is angled slightly more away from the dog.
You're very welcome. I'm happy to try and help.
Thanks for measuring. I know it's kinda hard with figurines because they don't really have any straight, simple edges to go by.
You're right. They do look very similar. My gut says both are real. I did notice the heads are a bit different. The angle doesn't look too bad to me though. You can probably see better. The angle different isn't more than a tiny little nudge is it?
~Diana
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur