Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I 't know how you would classify this piece. My grandmother

Customer Question
I don't know how you...
I don't know how you would classify this piece. My grandmother visited China on a number of occasions when she was still living. She passed away about 8 yrs ago but has a lot of stuff that appears to be valuable but my brother and myself know nothing of oriental art work. I'll attach a picture and hopefully you can see that in some parts of this "painting" some of the parts of the print are raised, such as around the head area and a few other places that may be tough to see. I'll will try to get a picture that shows the raised parts of the print. Thanks so much for your help. Drew
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
8/20/2015
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
I know the appraisers price seems high but, that is actually a good price. Most appraisers charge around 200.00 per hour, with a minimum of an hour to start. You mention this being a print, then you mention it being a painting. Is this a Painting on Silk ?
Truthfully, I don't know enough about art to answer that. It feels like it's on some sort of canvas. I don't know if the first picture I sent came through, but do you think another picture could give you a better Idea as to what we are dealing with? I went ahead and attached a few pictures to see if this will possibly give you a better idea. I wouldn't know what to refer to it as, simply bc of the raised parts that are on this piece of "artwork." I appreciate your help and look forward to your response.
Hello
I need you to check something for me, take a magnifying glass and see if you see any indications of a printer, there will be dots, or hatch marks etc if this is a print made from a printer.
Let me check ...any specific place I should look?
Hello
All over the picture, if this is a lithograph that was printed on a machine there will be evidence of it, like dots, dashes, hatch marks etc.
If painted it will have brush strokes where they applied their paint.
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur