Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

There is a church at the St. 's Episcopal Church in East

Customer Question

There is a church bell at the St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in East Haddam, Ct.
The controversy is over the age of the bell. A stamp on the bell shows `ano de 815' which has been interpreted to mean it was cast 1200 years ago. The Church is not advertising this but the Town has taken it on as an attraction.
We need some expert help in determining it's real age.
Can you help???
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
Are you asking about the bell that is listed in the book , Old Chimney Stacks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know. But there is an article http://livingchurch.org/church-doubts-bell-legend please see the link. Maybe this will give you more information.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
You are going to have to contact an appraiser in person. It sounds as if this has been looked at by professionals in the past and doubt the age of the bell. You need to contact an appraiser who is specialized in Church Bells. The Church may have to contact a Curator of a Museum to see about getting the bell dated. There are tests that can be done to see exactly the age of something. This cannot be done online. There is no way to do it without it being tested.
Glenda