Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I understand that without seeing something in person it may

Customer Question

I understand that without seeing something in person it may be difficult to assess a value, but if given a snapshot could I receive a range on the value of an antique ladder back rocking chair?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Attached is the only photo I have of the chair in question.
I purchased the chair on FB and have multiple messages from the seller that confirms the purchase, yet she decided not to sell at the exact time we had agreed to meet for the exchange as she felt it was undervalued. She set the price and agreed to the sale, and I plan to file a case in small claims court to see that I either receive the chair or am otherwise compensated. This was clear breach of contract. I'm not an antique collector by any stretch, I just know what I like. I have no inkling as to the value of this chair, I just liked it. However, I feel that I need at least a range as to the possible value in presenting my claim to the courts.
It's more a matter of principle tan anything, but I want my ducks in a row.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.

Hi There~

My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.

The images attached here is only opening to micro-miniature size.

At your convenience, please send larger photos.

When evaluating an item, good photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this any larger?
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
It is a bit larger.
Can you please add more clear, in-focus images of the joinery, where pieces connect, and a full picture from top to bottom from front view and side view.
Thank you,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have it. I purchased this chair on FB from a local online sale site. 30 hours following the sale, the seller said she had changed her mind about selling because she believed she had the chair underpriced and wanted to have it appraised. However, this constitutes a breach of contract as we had an agreement in writing. She has yet to surrender the chair so I am filing a case against her.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
This is a "Shaker-Style" chair, the slats that form the ladder-back are too 'ornate' for a true antique Shaker chair. As well, if authentic, the back would be wider and the seat deeper/wider.
Here is a link for you to a set that is a comparable visual match to the one you purchased, they sold for $100 or $25 each:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/set-antique-vintage-shaker-style-tall-26882176
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a rocking chair and the seat is woven rush....does that make a difference?
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.

A rocking chair would be just a bit higher, around $45 for a Shaker style model with woven rush seat. Rockers are a bit flat on the market currently.

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid by the company when you leave a favorable rating.

Sincerely,

Nora