Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a couple of watercolors - one of a soldier in uniform

Customer Question

I have a couple of watercolors - one of a soldier in uniform the other of a woman swinging a censor. Is there a place to upload photos?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I disassembled it awhile ago, but it's back in the frame now. I think the spots on this one are from smoke perhaps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was no signature on anywhere on the painting or frame backing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is the other one, they were framed the same, so I assumed they were by the same hand.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No signature on this one either.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the images. What is he size of each?

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Approximately 5 x 8 inches for both.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the dimensions. What information is it that you are seeking on these?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mostly, if they are by an identifiable artist, the approximate date and country of origin.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.

Could I please see images of the back side and the frames.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As you can see, I just found this - there is writing saying "lady" on the one of the woman. It was underneath the matte.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional images.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
It is not possible to attribute these to a known listed artist.
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables
~OR~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional fee. Opening the question is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Nora, I would be interested to see if other experts might be able to identify them. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.

Certainly.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora